Saints' Payton out-Kelly'd Eagles' Kelly

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by Omen, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

PHILADELPHIA -- There’s an old saying that sums up a superior head coach: He can beat your team with his team, and he can take your team and beat you coaching his team. That comes close to describing what happened to Eagles coach Chip Kelly in his first NFL playoff game Saturday night. Kelly's otherwise impressive debut season ended by getting schooled by Saints head coach Sean Payton and his staff. The Eagles were the team with the No. 1 rushing attack in the NFL.

Source: Continue reading...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Kurt likes this.
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Hopefully Chip learns a lot from this experience. When he brings in his types of players, the team should improve. I still have a ton of faith in what Kelly is trying to build.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

pretty confident he will move this thing in the right direction. the team has good people in place to help the nerd draft well.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I think y'all are correct

Eagles are going to improve the more they get accustomed to chip and his offense.

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't think this is accurate at all. Davis had to choose what to gameplan against, and he sure as hell wasn't going to gameplan against the Saints non-existent running game. He gameplanned to take away Jimmy Graham and the passing game, and that's what he did. You commit that many players to coverage, it'll open up running lanes. The defensive gameplan was as good as it could be. The reasons the Eagles walk away with the loss are a very slow start on offense (basically the entire first half), not capitalizing on turnovers which you absolutely have to do against a seasoned team with a HOF QB, and Cooper dropping arguably the easiest, most important catch of his season. You could also mention Foles' indecisiveness on a couple of plays that lead to sacks or Carey Williams' horsecollar, but if the things mentioned before hadn't played out like they did I think we still would've taken it.

I see it more of us losing the game than the Saints winning it.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

davis admitted in his presser that he didnt adjust. he knew what the saints were doing offensively and he didnt change things up to counter. but yeah you're right it was def one of "the" reasons the eagles lost.

bottom line is the eagles were outplayed and outcoached.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nilly Davis lol.

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Should he have switched to a run-heavy defense which would've, in turn, opened up the passing game for Brees?

Davis said what he did because his team lost. His unit did not lose this game. His unit needs a good bit of work in this offseason, but majority of blame doesn't fall on him for this one.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

You clearly aren't a fan, but with the way he finished the season and the personnel he was handed I think he did a pretty damn good job.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

again i agree the defense isnt the reason the team lost but they're part of it. even with the pass-heavy def there were several chances for the saints but brees was off in the game. at the same time their run game was gouging the eagles def. he needed to adjust some. he didn't.

to me there is equal blame to go around on the offense, the coaching, the defense, the kicker.

that all said the team needs some more talent and you're right it's needed on the defensive side of the ball so i give davis credit for getting the most out of the talent he had.

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

sean peyton is a big butthole anyway! look how long he coached in dallas! other than making serious money,you become an butthole for life when you coach for the cowboys!
    and in the 1987 strike,he signed up as a scrub qb for the chicago bears. I Respect his talent,but he is still an butthole!