Cluster Headaches

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by markaz, Jan 25, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Anybody on GIF get them?

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

WTF is a cluster headache?

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I've never heard of them either.

4. markaz

A pretty rare condition that makes a migraine feel like a simple tension headache. I know because I've had migraines as well and I'll take a migraine any day of the week. Here's some lovely quotes from various sources:

"The term "headache" does not adequately convey the severity of the condition; the disease may be the most painful condition known to medical science.[10] The pain is described as stabbing, burning or squeezing and may be located near or behind the eye and at the back of the head or neck."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

"People who suffer from cluster headaches describe them as worse than childbirth without anesthetics, worse than gunshot wounds, head injuries, or a burned hand. "They'll find the worst thing they can think of and tell you it's worse," said neurologist Dr. Peter Goadsby, director of UCSF's Headache Center. "It always causes me to stop and draw a breath."
    http://news.discovery.com/human/health/most-painful-conditions-list-130318.htm

And one of favorites:

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I've seen videos of people going through them. I read somewhere that they're basically the most painful thing anyone will ever feel in their life. Exponentially worse than childbirth.

6. DawkinsINT

That certainly doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

7. markaz

You're not wrong, Steve. To a person every woman who has cluster say they're far worse than childbirth. Physicians almost always say they are the most painful affliction in medicine. It's definitely not a contest but it's surprising that absolute no-one is doing any research into it. Right now triptan drugs are one of the most successful meds for aborting an attack, but at $359.00 per day, I just suck it up 2-4 times a day.

8. markaz

If you like pain they're definitely your cup of tea.

9. Steve12

You get them mark?

10. markaz

Unfortunately, yes. I've had them since 1992. Just started up again 3 three months ago after a four year break from the fun. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the chronic variety (daily) instead of the episodic type (3 months out of the year). You'd think with that kind of luck I'm bound to win MegaMillions.

11. Steve12

Damn dude I'm honestly sorry to hear that. I can't even fathom how much that has to suck.

There's no surgery or anything that helps alleviate it?

12. markaz

There's one surgical procedure called the Gamma Knife but it comes with kind of a nasty side effect.... facial paralysis on the affected side because the nerve trunk is severed, but no more pain.

13. Steve12

Obviously I don't know what it's like so I can't really provide insight. But from what I've read, I would trade incomprehensible daily pain for a half paralyzed face.

Easy for me to say though, without having to actually do it.

14. DawkinsINT

Damn...as if being a Cards fan wasn't painful enough...

Tarkus, Aussie61 and Steve12 like this.
  15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Damn that sounds bad...

16. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

Sounds more like a cluster freak. :)

17. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I used to get these headaches,really bad ones,doctors said it was Migraine but none of the Migraine meds worked.I used to smash my head on the table,one day I started banging my head on a brick wall,trying to force the pain out.
    Then I moved house and had to find a new GP,she was really good.She sent me for a routine blood test to check cholesterol and stuff.Then the test came back and my Sodium levels were borderline low.I told her I had that for years and nobody did anything about it,I followed all the generic advice to not add salt to food because it's bad for your heart.She told me that's not right,low sodium causes the brain to swell,which compresses the cerebral fluid and this causes bad headaches because of the pressure inside your head.
    I still get headaches sometimes but not like I used to,and all the crap on the TV telling people how to diet I ignore.

18. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Sorry to hear, Markaz

When I was in my 20s, I once had a migraine that lasted over a year straight. I was one testy f*cker for awhile there...I mean more than usual.

It mysteriously disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i used to get these years ago. i'd end up curled up in the bathtub in the dark to try and get relief. the cold from the tub would help but ultimately you had to get through it. then suddenly they stopped about 7 years ago. thank god too cause that was the worst pain i have even been through.

20. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

I had these within the last 2 years. It is really bad to the point where i say freak anything im doing today. Freak work and all. I been good for like the past few months but yea, these things are horrible.