Wal-Mart's Sam's Club To Cut 2,300 Workers

Discussion in 'Crossfire Discussion' started by Tarkus, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

NEW YORK (AP) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said it's eliminating 2,300 workers at its Sam's Club division as it reduces the ranks of middle managers in a bid to be more nimble.

The layoffs, which cut 2 percent of the membership club's U.S. employee count of about 116,000, mark the largest since 2010 when the Sam's Club unit laid off 10,000 workers as it moved to outsource food demonstrations at its stores.

The cuts come as Sam's Club strives to compete better with Costco Wholesale Corp. and online players like Amazon.com's Prime membership service.

Bill Durling, a spokesman at Sam's Club, says that a little less than half of the cuts were aimed at salaried assistant managers. The cuts are also eliminating some hourly workers. He says that each of the clubs had roughly the same number of workers regardless of how much revenue each store generated.

"We felt this was the right move to make sure we are positioning ourselves for growing in the future," said Durling in an interview with The Associated Press. "We are trying to rebalance our resources in the field to make sure we are investing in the clubs that have the higher growth potential and balancing resources across the chain."

Durling said that those workers who received notices will continue to get paid for the next 60 days and will have time to re-apply for opportunities at Wal-Mart or other areas of Sam's Club's operations. After that time expires, they will receive severance.

"We're trying to treat our associates with utmost care and respect," he added.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/...20140124&id=17289787&gt1=33009&ocid=ansmony11

2. Tarkus

Bud Fox: How much is enough?

Gordon Gekko: It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Awesome. Instead of taking 45 minutes to check out, it'll take an hour. No worries...

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I honestly didn't know that Sam's Club was associated with Wal-Mart. I'm a Costco member.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Where the freak have you been?!?

6. DawkinsINT

Not at Sam's Club. Not one around me.

86WARD likes this.
  7. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've actually never been to one either. I've only been to BJ's and Costco...but I thought everyone knew that Walmart and Sam's went hand in hand...lol.

8. DawkinsINT

I guess I'm not up to date on my Walmart news searches.

Aussie61 likes this.
  9. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'm not gonna harp over some middle management mongoloids at walmart losing their jobs. they should have no issue finding jobs at the DMV.

Omen likes this.
  10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Do you drive places? Walmart semis say Sam's Club on them lol.

I've only been to Sam's Club once, and it was with my ex-gf and her mom. I've never shopped anywhere where I had to be a member.

11. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Sucks for the employees that were cut. I've shopped at Sam's but on other peoples memberships lol. Bought a flat screen tv there before and just general bulk stuff like tp or chicken filets. Unless you're feeding a family of ten, don't see a need for a membership there.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Wal mart could not care less for these folks.this is why the wal mart family members are worth over 100 billion dollars,they keep their money!

13. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

And that's a bad thing because

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

they forget the people who really made them rich and allowed them to prosper,their workers. i understand about making money,but come on,at least share some with your workers! after awhile to these mega-billionaires like the walmart family a billion is just another number!

15. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Another 2300 folks headed for government assistance. Probably more than half of which will continue to drain the working half for more than a year.

16. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

A big group of people lose their jobs and that's where you immediately go with it? Gimme a god**mn break.

These people aren't your "takers" who look to grab all they can get without doing anything. These people were working, and they paid taxes into this insurance that allows them to pay mortgages and bills and, you know, feed their families after unexpected job loss. I get so sick of this attitude that just because someone who needs help due to circumstances they can't control takes advantage of a program they pay for, that they're somehow a moocher with no ambition or work ethic. Does that happen? Sure. But don't assume that among these 2,300 workers there isn't a single person who won't be out looking for work. That's a joke.

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

thanks to a neo-con company.

yay consevatives !

18. Tarkus

[​IMG]

Kurt likes this.
  19. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Wait a minute, you must not have read my entire statement @TheSnowman - Not what I was getting at entirely, just that at least half of them would probably end up milking it for as long as the government EMPOWERS them to milk it.. and trust me, they will. And I said HALF.

Allowing folks to sit on their ass while they look for the best possible job isn't helping the Country as a whole. I say let them look for three months and if they can't find a job in that time period then they just anit willing to work. An unemployment check should only last a short period.

I also believe the government should help laid off people relocate if someone finds a job out of State. But again, this is only if they severely cap the amount of time people are allowed to "sit back and cherry pick".. or "sit back and milk the system".

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

i hear that kurt and there's always a going to be certain amount of people that will abuse the system but the vast majority of them needs those funds and have paid into the sytem for years to get them.

tell me - if after years of working you find yourself unemployed and could only find a job paying 30% less then you would get via gov assistance you mean to tell me you wouldn't "milk it" to survive and keep a roof over your family's heads ?