Biggest draft bust in NFL history?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by LebaneseFF, Feb 6, 2014.

1. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I make no secret that I only found out about the NFL in 2007. and have only barely caught up on previous years from there.

So since then for me the biggest draft bust has to be JaMarcus Russell

What are your biggest busts?

2. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, or throw it back a little bit with Todd Marinovich

Omen, DaBears22 and Kurt like this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ryan Leaf, no doubt about it. There were people convinced the Colts would regret passing on him for the rest of eternity.

4. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

JaMarcus Russell hands down.. dude was unbelievable in College.. could throw a ball 60 yards while on ONE KNEE..

Listen to them talk about him... drugs and money ruined him

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

JaMarcus Russell.

I don't know that Leaf would have gotten all the media and NFL "experts" as worked up as he did if it weren't for the Peyton Manning debate. Russell came to the NFL with no competition to his "greatness' coming out of college. No question that drugs and money got to his his head, but it also didn't help that he was under contract with one of the most dysfunctional organizations in all of football at that time.

Kurt likes this.
  6. smeags

smeags militant geek

how about most of the guys the eagles drafted from the mid 80's to the mid 90's ???

7. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Ryan Leaf wasnt as bad as people think. He just had Peyton to compete with and lost his mind. But on the field, he wasnt too bad.

Tony Mandarich is a big one as well

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Mandarich was the first name that came to my mind.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

what ?

10. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Leaf is more of a bust because he mentally lost it not because he was a terrible QB the way Russell was. Not saying he was good by any means but he only had 2 seasons of playing time

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

the man had 14tds to 36 ints and 8 fumbles. less then a 50% comp rate. but yeah i agree russell is still worse.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Tony Mandarich is the first to come to mind. The funniest one is Mike Mamula...

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

bust is a strong term on mamula IMO. the guy actually had a decent career but because ray rhodes had a bowling ball dropped on his head on draft day he decided to take a 2nd/3rd round guy and take him high in the 1st. of course over warren sapp.

86WARD and markaz like this.
  14. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Kijana Carter
    Rasham Salam
    Curtis ennis.

markaz and 86WARD like this.
  15. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Russell was a 2nd round pick before the combine based on his college career and tape. He was considered a huge reach at #1. As far as QBs go Couch was a much bigger bust.

As far as hype VS production I have to go with KiJana Carter. He was the best HB prospect since OJ in a day where HBs were 2nd to only QBs in terms of franchise value. A 230 pound back with 4.3 speed and the agility of a scat back, he made AD look unathletic.

His failure was more due to misfortune as he tore his knee in camp and it never really recovered. But bust is a bust

Omen likes this.
  16. 86WARD

86WARD -

KJ is a really good call...

17. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

It sucks because he tore his knee up so bad. I was really looking forward to seeing him in the pros. When I was a kid after that draft, me and my thug crew would talk about how bad ass Carter was gonna be.

He knew he was never gonna be the same when they drafted Dillon the next year

18. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I'd actually give Couch a mercy pass. He was stuck in that city and on that team on the shores of Lake Erie. No QB could have or can survive that craphole organization.

Forgot about Carter...good call. But still I'd give the nod to Russell. He had no injuries, sucked on the football field and very successful at car dealership purchases, furriers and back alley transactions.

Might want to throw Tyson Jackson (DE for the Chiefs) into the conversation as well. #3 overall pick in the 2009 draft. I mean really.....5 sacks in 4 years? He even had to agree to a pay cut from$14.72 million to $4.2 million this past season or the Chiefs were going to cut him. He agreed so even he knows he isn't worth a sh*t.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    GiantsVIP likes this.
  19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i still say to this day if the browns had drafted mcnabb instead and reid took couch their fortunes would've been reversed.

there's a reason the browns have had more qb's then noah had animals.

Aussie61 and Mike like this.
  20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i do not think mcnabb would have been worth a damn in cleveland,and couch would have stunk it up in philly. Mcnabb was almost as good a qb in philly as randall cunningham was.andy reid is the best eagles coach since i have been watching football the last 45 years.they just always seemed one play or one game away from winning it.vermeil was a good coach,but in my view,reid was better.james harris was a decent philly qb too,but they traded him to the rams for jaworski i think.