Mizzou's Michael Sam says he's gay

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Kurt, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

I'm not sure how this will improve his draft stock..... Michael Sam should have waited until after the NFL Draft. Or was he trying to improve his draft stock?

"I understand how big this is," he said. "It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."

"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was gay. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "

"We're really happy for Michael that he's made the decision to announce this, and we're proud of him and how he represents Mizzou," Pinkel said. "Michael is a great example of just how important it is to be respectful of others, he's taught a lot of people here first-hand that it doesn't matter what your background is, or your personal orientation, we're all on the same team and we all support each other."

Source link...

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

improve ? if anything he hurt his stock. middle round guy now with an unavoidable media circus that comes with him isn't going to be attractive to teams.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

4. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

They are saying most scouts already knew this.

5. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

There isn't anything "wrong" with it..

But help me understand why gays feels the need to raise their hands and announce to the world their sexual preference? I don't raise my hand and tell everyone I'm heterosexual, who cares? Get a life, live your own life.

Someone needs to remind them they anit special because they're gay.. they are human and should live a normal life. No one cares if you don't eat meat, eat meat, gay, not gay.. who cares? STFU

Omen and TJ like this.
  6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I still see Michael Sam getting drafted. As to what round, who knows.

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

If he can help the team that drafts him win, what difference does it make what his sexual orientation is?

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

thats easy for a hetrosexual to say. you dont deal with the issues gays deal with so you have no clue how they feel therefore really are in no position to tell them how they should react.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Jihad Joe and DawkinsINT like this.
  9. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I think it is a smart move. If he goes undrafted he can always play the gay card saying he wasn't drafted because he is gay.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Actually it may. A team may want to do it to make themselves look good in the media.

Either way, within a few months after he's drafted this will be pretty much forgotten about.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

i understand that angle but i not sure a mid round at best pick is worth it. no matter what i commend the guy for coming out. it's a tough thing especially in football.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think him being a middle round player is what makes it easier to draft him. You aren't hurting your team much if he doesn't play well.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

The media "circus" part should be over by the time the season rolls around...

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i doubt he goes in the 1st few rounds,but he should be taken by round 4 cause the guy is pretty good,at least when i watched him a few games he was.

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Yep. Worked for that qb named T something.

16. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i wouldn't draft this guy......... the media distraction wouldn't be worth the risk.

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

be at least a year. every road game would be a media party.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think so...look at Michael Vick, Riley Cooper, Aaron Hernandez...they didn't kill teams with their distractions.

The signing of Jonathan Martin could be a bigger distraction.

It's not like this is Tim Tebow...lol...

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

he was sec defensive player of the year.he ain't chopped liver,ya know?

20. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

He's not even the first NFL gay player. Anyone remember Jerry Smith? He played for the Redskins in the 1960s. Publicly, he was a Pro Bowl TE. Privately, he was a gay athlete.