NFL To Implement 15-Yard Penalty For Players Using Racial Slurs; Ejection For Two-Time Offender?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by 86WARD, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

The NFL may implement a new rule this offseason calling for 15-yard penalties for any players who use racial slurs on the field.

John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told CBS Sports that he expects the league to make it an automatic 15-yard penalty if a player uses the N-word on the field, and an automatic ejection for a player who does it twice.

“I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we’re trying to do,” Wooten said. “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere.”

Wooten’s comments were strictly about the N-word, but if the NFL is going to implement this rule, other racial slurs would presumably be included as well, along with slurs that are homophobic, sexist or religious in nature.

However, the NFL may find such a rule tougher for its officials to implement than it sounds. Would the NFL provide every player, coach and official with a list of words that can’t be used? And who would determine which words make the list? Some slurs may be considered offensive in some contexts but not in others. Members of a racial or ethnic groups sometimes use slurs among themselves, with no offense intended or taken. If one black player uses the N-word toward another black player, and a white official hears it and throws a penalty flag, that may open a can of worms the NFL would rather avoid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...yard-penalties-for-racial-slurs-on-the-field/

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

LMAO...

How are they going to police that? Hearsay? What if a player says "I'm Bigger?" And the official thinks he hears something else...lol.

3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

racial and ethnic slurs have no place in the game,but it is gonna be really hard for this rule to be enforced on the field. just like pass interference and helment to helment hits,they are gonna let th refs enforce this at their discretion,and we all know what happens when that happens don't we?

DaBearsrule4ever and 86WARD like this.
  4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Wonder how often this penalty will be called...

5. lambertjr

lambertjr FNG

I can't help but wonder if this would have even been brought up if not for the announcement of an openly gay player trying to play this season?

Aussie61 and DawkinsINT like this.
  6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

If you have a stuttering guy with Tourette's trying to curse, you could, in theory, march down the field without running a play.

7. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Good point.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's going to be virtually impossible to govern unless a ref is right there and hears it clearly...otherwise it's all speculation and how are the announcers and TV going to handle it?

"Let's listen in and see if Drew Brees really said N----R."

"Well Al, it sounded like he said N---A with an A...so that should probably only be the 5-Yard variety."

"No...sounded like N----R. Here, let's listen again."

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. DawkinsINT

"Unnecessary N-Bomb. 15 yard penalty. Automatic first down."

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

#74 used the N-Word with an A at the end instead of ER. 5-Yard penalty. Automatic First Down.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. 86WARD

86WARD -

#55 called Michael Sam a "F-G N----R" that's a double violation. 55 has been ejected from the game.

Mike, Kurt and DawkinsINT like this.
  12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

You can damn sure bet the announcers will point it out over and over and over....

13. DawkinsINT

Diesel ruined the fun.

LebaneseFF, Aussie61 and 86WARD like this.
  14. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]

DawkinsINT likes this.
  15. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading the article.

16. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

What about when EJ Biggers is playing? Coach yells "Biggers..Biggers" Official gets confused...throws flag :dunno:

DawkinsINT likes this.
  17. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I actually like this rule. There is no room for racial slurs in the game. I just can't wait to see the reaction of the first person who gets flagged and ejected for this.

18. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Well, this would be a good p.r. Move by the league.

19. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Ref: #72...15 yards for using a racial slur

Player: No, ref, no!!!

What I said was "This be my Tigger"

[​IMG]

Aussie61 and DawkinsINT like this.
  20. DawkinsINT