'13-'14 Eagles Off-Season

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by smeags, Jan 9, 2014.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

so the 1st season under chip kelly has ended and i think it's safe to say not many predicted the type of season the eagles had this year. at least not as far as winning the division or going toe to toe with the sanits in the playoffs.

no doubt the biggest tests for chip kelly still lie ahead but this looks to be the beginning of a fun ride with him at the helm.

this off-season is huge for the team. this is a young team and the emergence of nick foles opens the door for the team to fill holes at other positions in the draft and use FA to compliment the starting roster not make it.

so, who stays ? who goes ? what FA's should the team look at ? what should the eagles do in the draft ? lots of questions.

eventhough the team lost to the saints there is so much excitement going into the off-season. should make for some good discussions.

2. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

If the Eagles manage their roster well they could dominate the East for a decade.
    With Jerry more concerned about his nice stadium and the coaching carousel in Washington,the Giants are your main concern.

3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Giants are in as worse of a position as the eagles ,skins and dallas are.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

is'nt maclin and avant free agents this season? if they are,1 of them will end up in kc with andy reid.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I can see Maclin back on a one year deal

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

maclin and cooper are free agents. i see both back unless another team offers one of them dumb money. some rumors say maclin will sign as soon as the FA market starts. if it's a one year deal i could see that as a possibly but other than that i think they will let both guys test the market and decide if they want to match any deals they might get.

avant has one year left on his deal at $3.9mil. he may be asked to take a pay cut because his cap hit is only $710k & four million is too much for a 4th WR.

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Cooper resigning is big. He and Foles were dynamic this season. I'd love for Mac to come back on a one year deal. If we bring back both, Avant needs to take far less if he wanted to stay. Good WR, good leader, but numbers just wouldn't work out.

Safety is the biggest need in my opinion. Wolff was impressive but time to kick Allen's ass to the curb and cut Chung's punk ass. TJ Ward and Jairus Byrd (both Oregon alum) are FAs this year. Thinking Ward will likely get franchised which blows, but he'd be my #1 target in FA. We can use some work regarding depth and a rotation along the line and at linebacker and need a good young cornerback to bring in and challenge Cary Williams so we can get rid of him after 2014.

Clearly emphasis needs to be put on defense this offseason.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

We definitely need safety help and a pass rusher on the defensive line. It sucks that free agency doesn't really have too much help in that matter without overpaying for someone less than spectacular.

I really would love Maclin back assuming he can be the player he was. I hope he takes a home town discount knowing how big he could be in this offense. With his past troubles and success on this team, Coop should do the same.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

i like the extentions the eagles gave out. maclin is next with what seems will be a 1yr prove it deal. still a couple guys on the bubble that will either be cut or have to renegociate like peters.

avant - wr / his days as an eagles are over. the cooper extention seal his fate.

ryans - lb / i think he will do the same as peters.
    celek - te / not sure here. my guess would be they cut casey and keep celek.

casey - te / see above

10. Jihad Joe

Not gonna gonna be popular with you guys, but I think you guys should trade up a few spots for Louis Nix. Dude is everything you want in a NT. A more polished Donatari Poe. He will go in the mid first because its a good top draft at QB, WR and LT, but he is easily a top 10 talent

A trade up to about 14 or so only cost a 4th I belive on the Harvard Chart, which is believed to have replaced the outdated Jimmy Johnson chart

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

i have seen some mocks where he fell to the late teens. there are more then a few fans who want him if the safties are gone early. personally i'd take him anyway and grab a safety through free agency and maybe a guy in the 3rd pound as round.

12. Jihad Joe

IMO Nix is wayyyyy more valuable in that scheme and in draft value then the Safeties. Nix is a player that can play in either a 1 Gap style or in a 2 Gap style 3-4. A Raji/Poe type

Pryor and Dix are overrated by some. Both are good but not nearly on the level of Barron and Vaccaro from the last couple years. Both are closer to the value of Matt Elam for me. Late first early second guys

13. DawkinsINT

We tend to want to jump on safeties due to how horrible ours have been.

Maclin does re-up for the one year "show me" contract. Sweet.

14. Jihad Joe

Considering how strong and deep this draft is, you should get excellent value at 22 at a prime position. The safeties in a normal draft would be somewhat of a reach at 22, in this draft I really think they are 2nd rounds

I think you guys are better of taking a guy like Nix or Dee Ford or one of the CBs ( good CB draft) and go after Reynolds in the 2nd

15. DawkinsINT

I think that with Chip's philosophy...they will draft the highest rated player on the board regardless of position unless it's close based on immediate need.

16. DawkinsINT

Rumors coming out today that the Bills won't tag Byrd. What a perfect fit he would be with the Eagles.

17. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

Did Maclin sign the one year deal?

18. DawkinsINT

Yes.

LebaneseFF likes this.
  19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Heard in radio that the Ighles are shopping Desean Jackson.

What the hell are they thinking.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

That he is too expensive and generally a rod.