Resume Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mike, May 7, 2014.

1. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

If your boss says apply. Then apply.

From my experience when you are applying for a different position within the company, your experience in that company trumps the degree.

If you were to apply to that same position in a different company then the degree trumps the experience.

Again I will go back to something the Human Resources departments are in love with today. that is Core Competencies. Google it. They are trained to interview to find out what your CC are. This is almost all that matters these days.

2. LebaneseFF

Hey Mark,

I agree with everything you said. Except going on to Page 2. I receive around 15-25 resumes everyday. My first selection criteria (without even reading them) is how many pages. Anything over 1 page goes straight to the I'm sorry pile unless they have over 15 years work experience then I will take a glance. the other way I would look at a two page resume is if it came from a recommendation. I know quite a few HR professionals that think like I do, in fact they taught me this trick.

Here is what I think, if you have info that runs into 2 pages. Check your details again, is there something you can take out? If not how many years experience do you have? if the answer is over 15 years then yes, then go to 2nd page but keep it brief.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I would look at the content on Page 2 and if it was 1/2 page or more....see ya. If page two was nothing more than finishing up a qualification started on Page 1, then OK.
    Is making the font smaller so that all can be fitted on one page a possibility? Absolutely not. Don't ever have a resume in a font that the hiring manager/HR has to squint to read it.
    One last thing @Mike. If you do not know the head of HR at all or that well, get your resume in the hands of the people who will be doing the hiring assuming you know them. HR in this electronic world are the front line screeners whose job it is to thin the herd, regardless if the most qualified ends up in the trash can.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I think the degree thing is overrated.

The job I just got "required" a degree, i still got it. Know they did ask me if I'd go back to school and get it. On their dime. Since I'm so close. To it. But I have 12 yrs experience in my field. I've ran into people straight out of college in my field the duckers are clueless.

5. markaz

Couldn't agree more. The harsh reality though is the bigger the company and the more technically oriented the position, the more the degree comes into play. A nephew of mine got his first job fresh out of an MBA program and he even admitted that applicants far more qualified because of their real world experience were far more qualified and he literally blew off his chances. That was with a Fortune 500 company. Key for @Mike is his inside tract. That definitely trumps a degree.

6. Omen

The only people I need to have degrees Are doctors Nf that might be debAtabke.

7. LebaneseFF

@Omen I disagree. it depends what degree. if it's a simple Bachelor's degree then yes it's useless, and 9 times out of 10 I will choose the experience over the degree. But when it comes down to advanced learning, for example a MBA, or PhD there is no way your getting that job if the job requirements is mentioning it. I quit my old job in 2006 to get my MBA because I kept on getting rejections for a consultant position. Now with my MBA I have been consulting for 5 years

8. Omen

We'll agree to disagree the only people I think need higher learning are people in the medical field. Most of family members are "educated" they have masters degrees. I'm the only "uneducated" one. Yet I make $$$ just as much as them and have never been with out a job. In fact I've never had to look for one either. The last three jobs I had they sought me out. The only Exception is for my bro in law he's a MD. Most of my wife's masters work was nothing but research. Which she doesn't really use on a daily basis. She relies more on her time as a intern at different hospitals and schools for her daily routine.

Hell even they have said that the degree is just a price of paper.

9. markaz

While this is not completely true, it is by far a very accurate statement. Having spent 10 years in the medical device industry, years ago I wanted to become what is referred to as a Medical Science Liaison Their role is to interface with the medical community and pass along unbiased medical information. Every position that I applied for required either an MD, DO, PhD or PharmD (pharmacist) degree. Even though I had 10 years experience doing exactly what these positions called for I have a DDS degree and wasn't even called in for an interview for any one of the 114 positions I had applied for. I mean really,...... a pharmacists was more qualified than someone with 10 years of real life experience and 4 years of higher scientific/medical education? It's all a matter of strict inclusion criteria and why HR needs to be bypassed if at all possible.

Omen likes this.