LBJ Opts Out Of Contract, Becomes Free Agent

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by ragman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Jordan also averaged a foul every 15 minutes. James every 21 minutes.

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Jordan played against better competition than James. I don't see any Magic, Bird, Isiah Thomas, and as far as being better all around here are the numbers
    Granted James has been playing since 17 but the numbers are close
    James regular season. 27.6 points a game 7.2 rebounds,6.9 assists, 1.7 steals and .08 blocks
    post season 28.5 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 6.7 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.9 bpg
    finals..22.5 ppg 8.1 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.5 bpg

Jordan: reg season 32.4 ppg 6.3 rpg, 5.9 apg, 2.7 spg, 1.0 bpg
    post season 34.7 ppg 6.7 rpg, 6.6 apg, 2.3 spg, 1.0 bpg
    finals 36.3 ppg 6.6 rpg, 7.9 apg, 2.0 spg, 0.8 bpg

Jordan shot a better percentage than James.

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Look at the finals and playoffs numbers. Not even a comparison to be made.

TJ likes this.
  4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Jordan didn't win until Magic, Bird, and Isiah were past their prime.

I don't think James is better than Jordan, but his haters really have a revisionist recollection of Jordan being a one man team that won the championship every year.

Omen and 86WARD like this.
  5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

When it's all said and done, the stat that really matters is that Jordan was 6-0 in the NBA Finals.

TJ likes this.
  6. Steve12

I don't think it's revisionist recollection. Jordan is remembered as a winner. That's a sign of his greatness. What will LeBron be remembered as? The best of the Miami big 3? A great player that sometimes had trouble finishing?

Tarkus likes this.
  7. DawkinsINT

He wasn't a winner until he got Phil Jackson. People forget that. James has never had a coach of that caliber and he still takes his teams to tremendous levels.

Omen and 86WARD like this.
  8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Championships aren't everything as we've discussed a million times...see Dan Marino vs. Eli Manning. Yet here because Jordan has more than James he's better.

It's not as easy as people want to believe to say Jordan is that much better than James.

9. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

best player ever is Spud Webb.

Tarkus likes this.
  10. smeags

smeags militant geek

jordan also played in an era when the eastern coference wasnt a d-league.

11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Phuck jordan, wilt the stilt and Dr J are the best.

Haven't any man come close to 100 a game

12. Steve12

Kobe had 81. But I didn't realize one game could make someone the best ever.

Obviously I'm too young to have seen Wilt, but a lot of stuff I've read has implied that he wasn't necessarily a great player. He was just way bigger than everyone who played at the time.

13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Ahhh...the old 'who's the next MJ' convo. :p

James is the best in the league right now but comparing him to MJ is nothing but fun stuff. There's always a convo at hand like Harold 'Baby Jordan' Miner down thru Kobe Bryant & now 'King James'. LBJ is light years from being the type of player that refuses to lose like MJ was. No way an MJ team fails to show up like LBJ's has done more than once especially in the Finals.

Besides, the only reason LBJ is in this convo is that he crafted a way to the Finals by teaming up with what amounted to 'ringers'.

The use of stats to diminish the difference between the 2 is just smoke & mirrors. There's been a slew of unbelievable NBA greats that are right up there with MJ in talent/stats but that's not in the same convo of the championship level talent that includes the likes of Russell/Bird/Magic/Abdul-Jabbar/O'Neal/etc.

Guys like that can bring up a case against MJ which I may not agree with but can easily see. 'King James' simply hasn't come up to that level.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  14. Tarkus

The highest scoring game means nothing. MJ routinely had high scoring games that had him sitting half way thru the 3rd quarter. There's been dozens of games with other prolific scorers doing the same thing.

That's what's kept games like Wilt's legendary 100 point/ Bryant's 81 point games from being an accurate benchmark.

Wilt was a great player with great weaknesses. It's what keeps him ranked a bit lower than some with me.

15. DawkinsINT

LMAO. Very unbiased analysis there from a Bulls fan. Jordan is the only player who sat late in games due to the scores...gotcha.

I don't believe that anyone here has said LeBron is better than Jordan. Jordan is probably the best of all-time, but he's also the most overrated. So much proof in this thread. The man apparently walked on water (after Phil Jackson arrived, of course).

16. DawkinsINT

Remember how Jordan's Bulls went out in the first round 3 times before Jackson arrived? Something LeBron never allowed. Swept in two of those series. Do you remember that?

Omen likes this.
  17. smeags

smeags militant geek

not in a debate about individual play.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

the nba changed the game to slow wilt down.

the nba has allowed traveling to help certain new era superstars

Omen likes this.
  19. Tarkus

:p

That should take care of that one... ;)

I can see how this thread has a bit of everything. My comments were based more on the fact that there's another great chance that James pulls another 'when the going gets tough, I get going' disappearing act. That's not greatness, that's opportunistic. Sure it's his choice but it goes against the grain of his comments that 1 day he'll be one of the top greats in NBA history.

As far as MJ being overrated? If someone wants to start that thread & storm those castle walls, I'll boil some oil, I guess. :)

Buck Fenson and Steve12 like this.
  20. Tarkus

Of course I do...

That was the years that MJ went thru carrying them to the playoffs with mediocre teams. Then he stuck around while the Bulls slowly pulled their act together & adjusted his game accordingly. Novel approach...

Buck Fenson and Steve12 like this.