The Concert Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by DawkinsINT, Jun 27, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

1991? WTF...

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I just walked into the Stone Pony. Young dude in front of me was wearing a Green Day shirt. My brother asked me why I started laughing.

86WARD and Walnuts like this.
  3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Oooooo so close...I think the first time I saw them was 92...MAYBE 91, but pretty sure 92. Saw them randomly at the Gilman a handful of times in those few pre-Dookie years. Never thought that of any the bands in that scene that they'd be the ones to "make it" at that time, but hey.

Hehehehehe....

Omen likes this.
  4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I'm way jealous you got to see them at Gilman.

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Dont be too jealous, its not like they were some epic mindblowing concerts or anything. The Gilman was (is? I have no idea if it still even exists to be honest) a crapty, dirty, atrocious-smelling, cramped venue with horrible accoustics - and at the time we of course had zero idea that any of the bands would ever be anything other than very minor local heroes. We'd pile in my buddys VW Bug once or twice a month and head to the East Bay for the weekend and whoever was playing we'd go check it out. Green Day was on the bill pretty regularly, Rancid, most all the Lookout, Epitaph and Fat Wreck bands, a lot of long-dead East Bay Hardcore bands and crust punk stuff. Caught AFI a couple times there and once in Reno when they were still a punk band as well. Good good times though.

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

1st concert i ever saw was johnny cash in 1969.everybody was quiet while they were playing and when they stopped.evolve from that era in concert participation through the 1970s,80s,90s and 2000,light hitting the on switch and the light getting brighter.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I saw GD in 92 I think at a old dingy church hall and saw rancid there too. Along with some other bands.

Also saw radio head before they hit big. Just before creep came out.

And 311 when I was like 18 that's along time ago.

Walnuts and DawkinsINT like this.
  8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I saw Pearl Jam open up for the Smashing Pumpkins and Chili Peppers at Rec Hall in State College. I went to see the Chili Peppers initially...Pearl Jam played a 7-8 song set...went out and bought Ten the next day...

Walnuts, Omen and DawkinsINT like this.
  9. DawkinsINT

Primus ripped it up as expected last night. My favorite song of their's is Southbound Pachyderm. They played like a 10 minute jam of it. ducking epic!!!

Dean Ween's new band is totally tits. Only Ween song they played was Transdermal Celebration, but it didn't matter. They were really heavy and tight as hell. So much better than I expected.

Walnuts and Omen like this.
  10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Rush is gonna go on tour either this fall or next spring,and i will go see them again. Would Love to see u2,neul young again and maybe a few other bands. It is hard for me to get around like i wish too so i'll probably go see those bands and hang it up. plus it cost so damn much to go now a days.i have been to a lot of sports events in my life,but i have never had a thrill like i have had at most concerts i have went to see.Nothing equals seeing a great band put on a great show live,in my few.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

@Steve12 I know you heard primus. You just didnt know it.

I love "over the electric grapevine" by Primus

The other concert I'm thinking of going this summer is KISS and def leopard

Steve12 and Walnuts like this.
  12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

That one I've heard. I've heard kiss and def leppard too.

13. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

I've been to a crap load of concerts.. but the best ever.. and scariest "ending" was at RockFest in 1997 ... there was 385,000 people there and it clocked in on the top 10 largest concerts list.

Here's the full list of largest concerts everrrrrrrrrrrr

[​IMG]

10. Blockbuster RockFest 1997 [385,000] was a music event that celebrated capital punishment. It was held on Texas Motor Speedway with hot artists like No Doubt, Counting Crows and Matchbox Twenty.

[​IMG]

9. Woodstock 1969 [400,000] was the pop culture event of that decade that had a big influence on both American music and culture. Legendary artists like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Santana and the Who was only a few of many others that performed. The audience, that were mostly hippies, sent a message to the world that everyone could gather together to enjoy music and celebrate peace.

[​IMG]
    8. Toronto SARS Benefit 2003 [450,000+]. The disease SARS that attacked Asia and Toronto in Canada was the reason for this benefit concert. Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Justin Timberlake were some of the artists that supported by performing.

[​IMG]
    7. Simon & Garfunkel [500,000] held their second reunion concert in Central Park in 1981. It was a free concert that was televised by HBO.

[​IMG]
    6. Isle of Wight Festival [600,000] was the biggest concert ever held in UK. The Who, The Doors and Leonard Cohen were some of the performing artists, and Jimi Hendrix had unfortunately his last performance on this event. All the tickets were sold out the first day.

[​IMG]
    5. Summer Jam at Watkins Glen [600,000+]. A huge hippy concert heldat the Grand Prix auto circuit in Watkins Glen, New York, with bands like The Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers.

[​IMG]
    4. Steve Wozniak’s 1983 US Festival [670,000] was a culture festival sponsored by one of the co-founders of Apple Computers, Steve Wozniak. It was held in California with great performers like Motley Crue, U2 and David Bowie.

[​IMG]
    3. Garth Brooks in Central Park [750,000] was a great country concert with excited and cheering “cowboys” in the audience. Brooks performed classics as “Friends in Low Places”, and “The Dance”.

[​IMG]
    2. New York Philharmonic in Central Park 1986 [800,000]. The largest classical concert that celebrated the rededication of the Statue of Liberty.

[​IMG]
    1. Rod Stewart at Copacabana Beach 1994 [3,500,000]. A New Years celebration featuring Rod Stewart with the largest concert crowd ever. The wonderful Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil was overcrowed with singing and celebrating audience.

14. DawkinsINT

Rod Stewart? Wow. Wouldn't have thought he had the largest crowd ever.

Omen and Diesel44 like this.
  15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

If i could go back in time and go to any of those concerts,it would have to be woodstock without a doubt.

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Saw kiss 4 times,all the original members. this latest version of kis,without frehley and criss,i would not walk across the street to see.def leppard is just too much of a poodle rock pop band for me,but i saw them in 1979 when they opened up for ted nugent and they were decent then.

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

must have been free admittance.

Steve12 likes this.
  18. smeags

smeags militant geek

u2 is great live. bono knows how to work a crowd.

Omen likes this.
  19. DawkinsINT

Guided By Voices did not disappoint last night. They were really motoring away early on (tee hee...a little insider corny GBV humor there). My favorite song of theirs is Teenage FBI. They crushed it. I would have gladly paid the price of admission if they only played that song. They were solid as duck, but then Pollard started getting really wasted as he was downing a bottle of tequila throughout the show. He went on some ducking epic rants about Springsteen, Little Steven, David Schwimmer, the Yahoo simulcast of the show, his age of 56, and whole lot of other crap. It was hilarious. He announced that their next song was going to be I Am A Scientist without realizing they already played it. After being alerted that they already played the song, they played it again anyway haha. Towards the end he was so drunk he fell down and had to be helped up by a Stone Pony staff member. Right back into the tunes though. Rock & ducking Roll!

Omen likes this.
  20. DawkinsINT

Haha...watching the rebroadcast of last night's show on Yahoo Live Screen. I have the windows and doors open as Pollard goes on one of his rants loaded with F bombs. Knock at the door...Jehovah's Witnesses. Hilarious ducking timing.

Omen likes this.