The Leftovers

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Steve12, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Anyone watching this new series on HBO? I've watched the first 2 episodes and I'm not sold on it. I want to give it a decent shot because hbo usually has great shows. But I don't think this is my cup of tea.

Anyone else trying to watch it?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Omen??

I've watched the first two episodes as well. I'm not totally into either, but willing to give it more time.

3. Steve12

Yea I'm gonna keep watching. The main actor dude is really good.

4. DawkinsINT

What annoys me is that stupid cult. Why on earth would someone join them? Liv Tyler's character just out of the blue showed up there. I see nothing appealing as to why someone would do something like that. I'm hoping they do a little skip-back into her decision. Otherwise it's just stupid.

Steve12 likes this.
  5. Steve12

Yea they follow her around for a while then she showed up. They showed her being kinda unhappy or unsettled in her life, so maybe she was just looking for something new. Just life any cult they prey on the weak minded at vulnerable times.

I'm curious about why the main dude's wife joined up.

The scene with his dad really intrigued me too. That scene alone makes me want to keep watching.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  6. DawkinsINT

Agreed about the scene with his father. Outside of the opening disappearance of people, it was the most intriguing to me.

7. DawkinsINT

On a side note, I wish this was a mini-series instead of a regular series. I hate when crap is suddenly added to a show like Lost as opposed to just having a full story told from beginning to end. Just ending it like True Detective or Fargo is much better in my opinion instead of having to make up crap to extend seasons. I wish Penny Dreadful was the same way.

Steve12 likes this.
  8. Steve12

Completely agree. One of the guys who made lost is the guy making this show. That's actually the main reason I wasn't going to watch it.

The odds are very low of this ending up where you don't feel like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas a few seasons in. But we'll just have to see how it goes. I feel like they could end up just jerking us around for 6 seasons before coming up with some bs ending about where everyone went.

Hopefully we'll get lucky and this will end up being great and we'll get to say we were there from the start lol. I didn't get in on breaking bad until a month before the final season, and I just watched all of game of thrones for the first time a couple months ago. So it would be nice for me to get it on a good one early.

9. DawkinsINT

I didn't know one of the Lost guys was behind this show. I wouldn't have held that against him though as it probably wasn't his decision to keep it going.

I was one of the few in on Breaking Bad from the beginning. Bryan Cranston was on Ron & Fez the week before it started. I was a fan of his from Malcolm In The Middle and it sounded intriguing. Never thought it would be the great show it ended up being.

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

gonna have to see more than two eps before i know whether or not it is a good show.i hope they tell why that dude is killing dogs in the next eps or two.

11. DawkinsINT

What I took out of it is that the guy is killing the dogs because they saw something when the disappearances happened, and they lost all kind of domestication and now just kill in packs. I understand why he kills the dogs, but not sure why they are killers now.

12. Steve12

I think it's weird how they're using that guy though. They're making him almost like a ghost. Everyone thinks Kevin is going nuts.

13. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I think I will give this show a shot

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'm in. first two episode were good. not GOT good but still good.

the book is pretty much about the garvey family but it's only one book to my knowledge so i am not sure this will be a long series. maybe just a couple of years like deadwood.

15. DawkinsINT

I wasn't even aware that it was from a book.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

i haven't read it but it's a novel from 2011

there is a nice plot summary here that shouldnt give away too many spoilers but think twice anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_(novel)

17. DawkinsINT

I'm not going to read it. I don't even like watching previews of the next week's episode.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

gotcha - if they follow the book it looks like it can be a pretty good show but again only if it's a short series. it's not like GOT or walking dead where there's a series of novels.

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It is some wild and crazy crap right along with why those folks do not talk and wear white all the time.hopefully,it gets better with every episode.

20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

never thought i would hear" love will keep us together" in a show about who lives and who stays! lol