Malaysia Airlines jet shot down by missile over Ukraine

Discussion in 'Crossfire Discussion' started by Aussie61, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Russia is under mounting international pressure after a Malaysian passenger jet was shot down over rebel-held eastern Ukraine, with the loss of nearly 300 lives.

At least 28 Australians were on board the Boeing 777 when it was apparently hit by a surface-to-air missile near Ukraine's border with Russia.

Pro-Russian separatists are being blamed for the attack, which left bodies and smouldering wreckage scattered across fields.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has turned up the heat on Russian president Vladimir Putin, saying he needs to explain the "wanton killing" of innocent people.

More details are emerging of the Australian victims, and one family which lost relatives on missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is in mourning again.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-18/malaysia-airlines-jet-crashes-in-ukraine/5606012

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Intercepted audio by Ukraine's intelligence agency of what they say is convo between Russian military intelligence and pro-Russia separatists.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Heard this morning that about a third of the victims were AIDS scientists who were on their way to an AIDS summit in Australia.

Also heard about an Australian woman who lost her brother and sister in law on Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, which has never been found. Yesterday, she learned that her stepdaughter was on board Malaysian Airlines Flight 17, which was shot down yesterday over the Ukraine.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I read that the target was Putin's plane, that just half an hour before was right there.

s**t is about to go down...

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

and now the teabaggers are attacking obama because he didnt wave his finger at whoever did this enough.

6. markaz

Are you serious?

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

hard to wave your finger at somebody when you ain't sure who did it.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I find it a little weird that the Russians just captured Jack Bauer and now this occurs? Are we definitely sure that the Russians don't have the override device?

Tarkus likes this.
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

:ROTFLMAO:

Keepin' the dream alive, Ward...keepin' the dream alive.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Spoiler alert, anyone? I haven't watched the finale (that's why I'm avoiding the 24 thread)...

Thanks a lot, Ward...

11. ragman

Lots of finger pointing going on here.

12. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I remember the good ole days when a thread like this woulda got hot quick.

13. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Seriously??

14. ragman

Maarten de Jonge is a 29-year-old Dutch cyclist. I think he's also the luckiest man in the world.

Listen to this story. He was supposed to be on both Malaysian Airline planes that crashed but he changed his plans at the last minute. In the plane that disappeared and has never been found, he and his cycling buddies were going to compete in a bicycle race in Taiwan. However, they changed their plans and took another flight to avoid a lengthy layover.

In the flight that was shot down over the Ukraine, he was going to take that flight, but he saw that it was very expensive. Almost $1,300 in US dollars. Then, he saw a flight that was about $400 cheaper. He took that one instead.

Amazing, huh?

15. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I'm far from a tea party but when 23 Americans plus other countries people are shot out of the ski and Russia won't help or hold people accountable and out Commander in Chief isn't doing much about it. It's sad.

16. markaz

Has the intercepted conversation between the Separatists and the Russian military been disputed and shown to be bogus?

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

what did you want him to do at that point ? go to war ?

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

wtf knows? they change their minds every day it seems! I Do not care much for putin,but it would not shock me if he gave the order cause the russian have done this crap before in the 80s when they shot down a kal flight that had an american senator on it.

19. markaz

Seems like the U.S. is posturing itself to piss enough countries off so that one of them will start something. A little tussle is always good for the economy.

20. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Nah I don't think our current President has it in him. For a war.

@smeags nah man but he spoke on that tragedy and quickly changed the subject. Putin has been toying with him since the inception of this presidency. Compare he's reaction to the last 4 presidents when tragedies struck.