Football’s Final Four: Fitting or Flawed?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Talk' started by SportsChump, Dec 10, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

As children, we’d wake up every Christmas morning to find out what bright-colored boxes waited for us under that fancily decorated pine tree. We’d be lucky if we’d gotten an hour of sleep the night before, like an insomniac at his worst.

Finally, morning would arrive. We’d un-wrap the largest present first, or maybe save it for last, holiday paper strewn across the living room floor. We’d look at our parents all bright-eyed, hugging them and thanking them for the gifts for which we had behaved so well. Now imagine Urban Meyer in his Columbus home the afternoon of December 8th, grinning ear to ear.

We’d play with those brand new toys, for hours on end… until we grew tired of them. The novelty had worn off. We needed something new. Now picture TCU and Baylor, their Christmas wishes not kept.

A sleepless Christmas Eve came three weeks early this year as coaches, students and alumni from Columbus to Waco to Fort Worth and yes, even Tallahassee, all stayed awake wondering if the biggest present of all would be waiting under their tree: an invitation to college football’s first Final Four.

Discuss and debate at: http://sportschump.net/2014/12/10/footballs-final-four-fitting-flawed/14831/

2. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i think the top 4 teams deserve their rankings. no matter how much they whine,tcu and baylor did not deserve to move in the top 4.in my view,FSU should have been the top seed though.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I don't have too much of a problem with it either Deez. I would just to make sure the committee was consistent with their rankings all season long. That I'm not so sure of.

4. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

IMO, OSU got in because of their past history. And that's a shame.

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

OSU has been on a tear since losing to va tech week 2 though.i hate urban meyer,but i think that the team deserved a spot,especially after drubbing the badgers 59-0 with a new qb.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

I can't wait for this to happen tomorrow. I think the ncaa and all of the universities are going to shirt when the tv ratings for these playoff games come in.

They fought this for decades but the money is going to be too much to pass up and they will eventually expand it.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

best set up to me is the top six make it to the dance.

top two teams get a bye. 3 weeks of insane, tense college football to decide it all.

until then i will take this !!!!

8. CaptainStubing

yep, i would probably be ok with 6 or 8 teams. I hear a lot of people wanting 16. To me, that's too many games and would extend the season too long for college kids.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah i used to believe 16 would be great but i think 3 weeks is the tops you can have these teams plays.

10. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Yea, 16 is way too many.

After this year, I'm thinking that just four might be spot on.

11. ragman

No. Within 5 years, it will expand to at least 6 or 8.

12. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Well, Rag, certainly this year TCU has a case for being in it.

13. ragman

I thought they did even before today's game against Ole Miss.

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

they took out not making it out on ole miss today! TCU will be ranked number 1 going into next season,and rightly so.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

they took out not making it out on ole miss today! TCU will be ranked number 1 going into next season,and rightly so.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

With the way Oregon treated FSU...I'd say it's flawed...

17. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Sweet as Sugar: Buckeyes upset Alabama 42-35
    Yahoo.com/Sugar Bowl
    Rose Bowl rout! Oregon crushes Florida State 59-20
    Yahoo.com/Rose Bowl

The Bowl Committee's job was to select the four (4) best teams in the country to battle it out. After these two games it looks like they got it right and they got it wrong. Ohio State's inclusion was controversial because of their one loss at the beginning of the season, but beating the overwhelming tournament favorite proved that their decision to add them to the list was probably correct.

Then there's Florida State. Heisman winner and an undefeated season and they got the nod ahead of TCU because they "deserved it". (I'm leaving Baylor out of the conversation simply because HC Art Briles embarrassed himself, Baylor and its fans so badly by flapping his jaw so badly at the send of the season and then gagging so badly in the Cotton Bowl.) FSU's season was one of narrow-margined victories with many of them comebacks in the 4th quarter against "inferior talent". Oregon exposed them for what they really were...a good but not great football team.

Regardless of what the Committee does they will always get it right and always get it wrong at the same time. Maybe more teams will play in the future so that your TCU's and Baylor's aren't left out in the cold. The #7 or #9 will always make a case of how and why they got screwed and the Committee will be heavily criticized for how they seed a greater number of teams.

So in answer to the @SportsChump thread question after the semifinals, the system appears to be Fitting and Flawed, but IMO, leave it at four (4) teams to avoid watering down the tournament and just let #5 and #6 witch. At least it will be over in 3 weeks instead of dragging it out into baseball season. But then again, my opinion and everybody else's doesn't matter. $$ will always dictate what's best for fans. Go Ducks!

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Great come from behind win for the Buckeyes!

19. ragman

Bucks vs. Ducks on the 12th @ Jerry World.

20. CaptainStubing

Loved it. 2 great games. Loved seeing jameison get his ass kicked.

markaz likes this.