Bills Shakeup Could Result In Reunion With Bill Polian

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by 86WARD, Dec 28, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

The silence has become deafening in Buffalo regarding the intentions of new owners Terry and Kim Pegula regarding the future of the franchise. There’s growing speculation and rumor in league circles that the team’s immediate future could include a blast from the past.

Some in league circles firmly believe that, as soon as Monday, former Bills G.M. Bill Polian could be returning to the team. It’s unclear what his role and duties would be; Polian and the Bills could try to engineer the job title and description in a way that doesn’t re-set the clock on his looming election to the Hall of Fame. Nominated for the first time in the new contributor category, Polian’s candidacy will be debated and determined on January 31.

Source:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/buffalo-shakeup-could-result-in-polian-reunion/

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

anyone else a little surprised that Marrone opted out of his contract? I mean, it is Buffalo, but they seem to have some talent to work with and it's very unusual for a head coach to just walk away, taking the risk of not getting another HC gig right away.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

According to NFL.com, Polian said no to the Bills job 3 days ago.:confused:

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

With what has been happening there, it's not surprising. Sounding more and more like Marrone will wind up with the Jets.

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah a little bit, it seemed like they had a good thing going there, but it sounds like he probably had a handshake-ish deal with the Jets before leaving Buffalo and who knows how he felt about new ownership/they felt about him...add in a fully guaranteed year of pay whether he opted out or not, so why not double dip and get his dream job in the process?

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I read that it goes all the way back to the draft when they traded up to get Watkins.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

This. You don't walk away, guarantee or no guarantee, unless you've got something else already in the works. As DB Aaron Williams tweeted:
    [​IMG]
    And if it's true that he's got a deal with the Jets, would love to be at Ralph Wilson Stadium next season when the Jets travel to Buffalo. Instead of AAA batteries, I hope the fans hurl car batteries at him.

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

He had a clause in his contract that said that if ownership of the team changed, he could walk away from the final year of the contract, and still collect the full $4 million salary. I read it in a tweet from Adam Schefter in new year's.

He just took the money and ran. Either he (or his agent) is a genius, or the Bills legal staff is full of morons.

9. CaptainStubing

to my knowledge Marrone still doesn't have another hc gig and there are only a couple of openings left. It's looking more and more likely that he will end up with a lower position.

10. CaptainStubing

Now it's being reported that Marrone is in Jacksonville talking to them about their OC position. Going from a HC in this league to an OC of one of the worst teams is a huge dropoff. I still think Marrone screwed the pooch with this one. Teams do not react well to coaches that quit. He may never get another opportunity.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Niners would hire him.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

the guy has experience in the nfl so somebody will give him another chance to coach.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

What about Atlanta...are they still in the process? I didn't miss something did I?

14. CaptainStubing

I believe Atlanta is just waiting on quinn. Sounds like fox is going to Chicago so that basically just leaves Denver up in the air.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Bills were stupid to hire rex cause he'll fall on his ass there in a year or so.he talks more shirt than buddy did and backs up less shirt than buddy did too.
    i think atlanta had the 1st job opening of the season and are gonna be last to fill that spot.i bet denver fills theirs before the weekend is over.

16. CaptainStubing

rex strikes me as the kind of coach that may be able to inspire a team for the first year or 2 but then his message gets old pretty fast. He may have some success his first year or 2. that wouldn't surprise me.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Welcome the Sanchized to Buffalo.

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

that is the kind of coach buddy was. the 1st few years he was coaching the eagles and the cardinals,he had great defensive teams,but his message and vision petered out and he moved on and punched the OC in houston.rex is a lot better DC like buddy was than he will ever be head coach.