Seahawks Looking Outside Box On QB Russell Wilson's Deal

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by ICECOLD, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

How do we reconcile the expectation that Russell Wilson is set to become the NFL's highest-paid quarterback with coach Pete Carroll's recent optimism that the Seattle Seahawks' Super Bowl-caliber roster won't be compromised going forward?

In separate radio interviews over the past two days, general manager John Schneider has emphasized an "outside the box" approach to Wilson's contract.

"I think Russell Wilson wants to win championships. We talk about being a consistent championship-caliber football team, and that means thinking outside the box a lot of times," Schneider said Tuesday on KIRO-FM. "We will do that with Russell. Russell knows there are certain dominoes that have to fall in line or fall in place.

"He knows it. He gets it. He wants to win. He wants to win for a long time."

Schneider reiterated that sentiment Wednesday on KJR-AM in Seattle.

Wilson has been the league's best bargain since landing with the Seahawks in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He's set to enter the final season of a four-year contract worth roughly $3 million.

Even if Wilson's next contract averages close to $25 million annually with $65 million in guarantees, Schneider can structure the deal so it won't count more than $7 million against the 2015 salary cap, per former sports agent Joel Corry.

Under that scenario, the cap implications won't become severe until 2016. In other words, it still allows for Marshawn Lynch to collect a significant raise in the coming months.

It's no surprise that Seattle is thinking outside the box. This has been a bold, unconventional operation ever since Carroll and Schneider assumed control in 2010.

"You do not just do exactly what everyone else has done around the league," Schneider said. "I think that we've proven that we do things (differently)."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-looking-outside-box-on-russell-wilsons-deal

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

It shouldn't be $25M a season...that's a bit high IMO. But I could see the length of his deal being reeeeeally long.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah...move the big cap hits to the future and worry about them later. It has worked GREAT for teams like the Cowboys or Redskins. Go ahead and do that.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I think the Saints showed how to f--k up a team by doing that.

Saintsfan1972 likes this.
  5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Might want to toss in the Cards as well. Because of exactly the scenario theatSeattle thinks they're inventing, Larry Fitzgerald is due $25 million this season. The man has restructured a couple of times and the Cards are now having to pay the piper. This is why all the discussions of Larry coming back next year.

Good luck with being relevant 2-4 years from now, Seattle.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Add the Steelers...

7. Buck Fenson

there is no way that any "fancy" accounting can help alleviate the salary cap hit either early or late in the contract. sooner or later you have to pay the piper. i feel that each team should be allowed to have one contract designated a freebie. that way you can keep some great players and field a competitive team consistently.

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The salary cap is a communist concept.

9. Buck Fenson

something about hearing salary cap with a Texan accent makes me think of a cap of celery.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I would have thought that his play in the playoffs would make the team step away from making him the highest paid QB.

11. Buck Fenson

it is only fair though. Super Bowl winning qbs get monster contracts.

12. markaz

Trent Dilfer really cashed in.:re:

13. Buck Fenson

that was before the big rush to sign qbs to big contracts just because they won a super bowl.

14. markaz

I was sarcastic as hell.

ICECOLD and Buck Fenson like this.
  15. Buck Fenson

and I was high as hell when I read that post. Like now. funny how that happens.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Sounds like the Cardinals and Fitz are close to an extension...

17. markaz

Just posted a thread about that. It's done and the Cards cleared $13 million in cap space. Fitz must have really bitten the bullet on this one.