Breaking up is hard to do: The Ezekiel Elliott Edition

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Aug 2, 2019.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

In 1993, Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith held out. He was unhappy with his contractual arrangement with the team that drafted him, the Dallas Cowboys. Entering his fourth year as one of the NFL’s most promising young backs, Emmitt wanted a new deal.

He didn’t show up to training camp. The Cowboys started the regular season without him… 0-2.

Cooler heads eventually prevailed. An agreement was reached and Smith came back to play in Week Three. The Cowboys finished the regular season 12-4, ultimately winning Super Bowl XXVIII. Emmitt Smith would be named that year’s Super Bowl MVP.

This post does not presume that Ezekiel Elliott is (yet) the caliber of the NFL’s all-time leading rusher but the 2019 Cowboys find themselves in a very familiar predicament.

Carry on at: http://sportschump.net/2019/08/02/breaking-hard-ezekiel-elliott-edition/21125/

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Oh, boy...this is a huge, HUGE deal right now. We can see both parties' point of view and even understand them. There are precedents:

In 1993, Emmitt Smith held out (he was actually out of a contract, but free agency was still one year away so he could only negotiate with the Cowboys who held his rights and refused to trade him), the Cowboys started 0-2, and Charles Haley threw a helmet at Jerry Jones after that second loss. Some say he almost killed him. Other say he missed by a mile. But Jerry got the message and the next day he gave in.

In 2015, DeMarco Murray, fresh of his rushing championship and posting the new Cowboys rushing record for a season with 1800+ yards (not even Emmitt achieved that) was shown the door. At the time, the team could only afford one of its two free agents: Dez Bryant or him. Jerry chose Dez. He chose wrong.

And now we get to Zeke. Playing devil's advocate, I'd advise the Cowboys to let him hold out. They still hold his fifth-year option for 2020. They can franchise tag him in 2021. They can do it again in 2022. They can have him for 4 more years without a long-term contract, and unless Zeke is willing to pull a LeVeon Bell, he has no choice.

There's also the character issues. He has been suspended already, and he currently has at least 3 lawsuits accusing him of different things from assault to fraud. How much money can you guarantee to a guy who could be suspended any given minute? Or even arrested. Or imprisoned.

At the end of the day, Jerry should know that the Cowboys offense will get as far as Zeke goes. He's the engine of this team. Zeke knows it. Jerry and company know it.

Who will blink first?

This is fascinating...and really stressful for us Cowboys fans.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Good stuff, Teej.

Like you, I think there's definitely more drama to come.

After all, we are talking about the Dallas Cowboys.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I can see both sides point of view as well. I hope he comes back soon either way. I want Eagles-Cowboys games this year with both squads at full capacity and ready to roll.

TJ likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

And don't forget the bigger picture:

Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones and La'el Collins are free agents after this year.

Jerry has said to anyone willing to listen (everybody) that Dak will get paid. They gave up a 1st rounder for Cooper so he has to get his extension as well. Jaylon Smith is a restricted free agent, but everybody knows he'll command an offer sheet that the Cowboys will struggle to match. Jones was a late boomer and is developing into as shutdown corner. Collins is the only one who looks as good as gone. The OL is getting very expensive as it is. At least he'll get us a high compensatory pick.

How in the world can you get everybody under the cap? They say it's a good problem to have. It means you have drafted well.

It also means, your window, as small as it is, might be shut closed after this year.

6. DawkinsINT

Zeke doubled down today saying he definitely will not play until he gets a new contract. Your move, Jerry.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

[​IMG]

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Alfred Morris... next man up

9. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Chump, home run piece. Love it!

10. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Thank you, sir.

The beautiful metaphor within is that the Zeke dealings have coincided with some issues I'm having with my current lady.

But shhhhh, don't tell anybody.

11. DawkinsINT

Jerry on his contract strategy with players:

"Picture if you were a driver of a car and you had a wreck and your hand was almost severed off. But you didn't understand your anatomy. You look down, you're spurtin' blood. You open the door and run into the woods, and either die bleeding to death or shock. The educated man looks down, knows his anatomy, squeezes and knows his best chance is to wait for help. That's because he's been there a lot and done that. So I'm squeezin' and waitin' for help."

What?? Haha.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

As I said in the other thread, Dak wants 40 million per year.

Zeke probably won't settle for anything less than what Gurley got last year.

Cooper will demand something in the neighborhood of what Michael Thomas got.

How will you fit all those 3 plus Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, La'el Collins, etc?

The Cowboys hit a home run in the 2016 draft. Every pick is currently a starter, and at least half of them are pro-bowl players. It really is a shame that we won't be able to keep them all...

13. DawkinsINT

Agreed, but I thought the way he described his strategy was...odd.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

People forget Jerry is 77 years old. Heck, I remember my grandma, God rest her soul, starting to lose her mind in her early 70s. I sometimes think Jerry is there or getting there...not having the slightest idea of what he's talking about...

Sometimes it's funny, but most of the times, it's sad.

15. DawkinsINT

That and he's also a hick.

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I guess you meant it with D and the forum censored it xD. If not, no idea what that is...

And yes...he's a D.

17. DawkinsINT

hick
    /hik/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
    1. a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or provincial.
      "wondering what a hick from the sticks was doing there"
      synonyms: bumpkin, country bumpkin, yokel, rustic, country dweller, peasant, provincial, country cousin; More

TJ likes this.
  18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ha!! Jerry said "Zeke who?" today in an interview, and apparently, Ezekiel didn't take it very well. Damn millennials can't take a joke xD

19. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

This can't possibly end well.

Unless, of course, you hate the Cowboys. Then it'll all end great!

DawkinsINT likes this.
  20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

On one hand, Jerry is an unreasonable jerk who wants to save a couple of bucks by low balling his star runing back and making jokes about it...but he's a loyal boss who has had Zeke's back from day one.

On the other hand, Zeke is an ungrateful bastard for whom Jerry went to war against the league over his suspension, and can't take a joke...but the Cowboys offense is built around him, and he delivers...

The funny part? Both hands are right!! Jerry is a jerk but a cool boss. Zeke is a star, but the millennial stereotype.