Alex Smith..........What a man.........

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by misfitz, Jul 22, 2007.

1. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

this is a really good article looking into the type of person Alex Smith is. Its a good read and a somewhat sad one when you think about all the foster kids that dont get the same opportunities some of us get.

Its refreshing to see someone willing to give back and actually giving a significant amount

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/285727-p2.html

2. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

It's about time the NFL got some good publicity sice we gave it to them. :icon_mrgreen:

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

It's about damn time we hear about someone from the NFL doing something good instead of a player getting arrested or holding out for a certain amount of money.

4. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

Good for Smith. :D

5. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Now Smith needs to give us a good season:icon_twisted:

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Yep Misfitz, it's always great to see players give back something to the communities in which they work or live. Smith is one of the good guys who wants to help the less fortunate, kudos to him.

Misfitz, thanx for the article

7. Digitool

Digitool Graphic Artist

thanks for the article, a good read indeed (yes it rhymes)... i've always liked smith, even if he's not going to be another young or montana, he's at least a mature athelete that knows how to manage the position he's in, on and off the field.

8. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

I'm sorry to not be all up on his nuts and all but, uhhh..ALL NFL players are required to give back to their communities and or donate $ and time to charities.

feel great fluff...whooo!

9. Digitool

Digitool Graphic Artist

but how they go about it shows alot about themselves... even though they're required, most players just do the minimal...

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

:WORD04: thanx for busting our collective bubbles...

11. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

You can see him in San Diego sometimes he is cool he doesn't act stuck up or anything with his fans.

12. misfitz

true but they only give back a minimal amount how many actually give back 500 thousand dollars in one donation

13. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Here's a break down seeing how I know A little about taxes:
    Okay for the simple fact that he didn't donate this much he would loss it anyway. So before you think any athlete that donates is doing it to be a nice guy...I highly doubt it.

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Whatever, you don't know what his real motives are, I would like to believe it's because they care about the community and leave it at that.

15. misfitz

ive heard him speak about his foundation and what he hopes to accomplish with it hes very genuine about it

and frost i know how much you hate alex but if like you say he was going to lose that 500 thousand........why isnt every athelte making huge donations like that if they are just going to lose it?

16. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

I bet they do...and check this loop hole out. Most people with money with foundations will put there own money into so they can keep it. Now I'm not saying Smith is doing it but it is common practice.

17. misfitz

hmmmm considering alex is sending 10 kids to school all expense paid i doubt hes taking that money back out

See this is what has happened to fans today anytime a player is giving back they are questioned on if they are genuine or whats their real motive and crap..................sad really when you think about it

18. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Click this
    Read the fourth paragraph down.

19. Digitool

Digitool Graphic Artist

I'd love to argue you frost... i really would... but i can't... because i know what you've been saying about contract and how they're in a way obligated to it, i know its true...

now thats not to say that that is the same way for evryone... you could at least say that "for most atheletes" because you don't know its the same way with alex... it could be but it also may not be... you don't know that.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Not to the tune of half a million dollars though. That's considerably above and beyond what NFL players are "required" to donate. I could not find a definite number, percentage of salary or time required, but pretty much all of the donations I could find were in the 10-12,000 dollar range. The NFL as a whole donates 8 million a year. I think it is pretty commendable of the guy to pony up 1/16th of what the entire NFL does, out of his own pocket.

Here's the 49er charities page...

http://www.jointheteam.com/teams/team.asp?t=33