Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by DawkinsINT, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 20, 2007, 2:36 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday and likely lengthy prison sentence to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case that has driven his NFL career to a halt.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Vick attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

The terms of Vick's sentence are not yet known.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

Vick's last two co-defendants pleaded guilty Friday and said he bankrolled gambling on dogfights at the quarterback's property in rural Surry County, not far from his hometown of Newport News. One said Vick helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. Tony Taylor of Hampton struck a similar deal last month.

The gambling allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The NFL has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation.

Peace, Phillips and Taylor pleaded guilty to the same charges facing Vick: conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Their sentencings are set for November and December.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983121

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I just posted an article in NFC discussions. I guess you can get rid of that.

I'm glad we aren't going to keep hearing about this finally.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Now that Michael Vick is as guilty as changed, Goodell, take action!

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Just in time for the season, we finaly get rid of this topic. Now Goodell will take action too

5. DaBearsrule4ever

I wonder if there is a way the Falcons can buy out his contract? I believe he still has a pretty hefty contract in Atlanta. After what Michael Vick just pleaded guilty for AFTER LYING to the Falcons and Roger Goodell, I don't want him on this team period anymore if i'm anyone in the Atlanta Falcons orginzation.

6. Vyse314

Vyse314 Slayer of beasts!

hopefully there's something in his contract where he won't be able to get anything. make an example out of him and wash out the freaking thugs in the league

7. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

An example for the rest of the thugs is the best he can do now but he "could" have been an example to so many young people that looked up to him. The man has so much talent and could have been a leader....someone to look up too....someone who could have shown youth how it can be done.....guess now he get's to be an example for what not to do with your riches in the NFL and maybe he can become an example for how to turn your life around after prison.
    Good luck Mike Vick. I hope you learn and truly are sorry for what you've done.

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

If the NFL bans him, isn't that the way out of the contract for the Falcons? And a ban is what I expect from Goodell

9. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I just listened to ESPN interview Ray Buchannon and ask his thoughts on the subject.....and wow....About all I got out of his comments were...."well it's a he said she said deal with the co-defendants and he (Buchannon) still doesn't believe Vick is gulty of these charges and they are just cutting the head off the snake so the body will go limp....making an example of Vick.".....Ummmmm....what part of pleading guilty doesn't he get? If Vick is innocent of these charges then don't plead guilty. Fight it....maybe Vick won't get to be an example to the rest of the NFL if former players think like this....that they are only making an example and that Vick didn't really do anything bad...what is wrong with people?
    He also said "This could have happened to anyone."......Ummmmmmm again....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....not just "anyone" funds and is involved with a dog fighting operation....

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Vick had done nothing bad? What a goober

The times, were football players was role models are gone for years

11. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Sad but true.Why is that? Aren't they paid enough to be role models? Vick will be the poster child for nfl gone wrong for a while.....who can top this?:bad:

12. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

He had no choice,but to take the deal. Or else he would have really been screwed.

13. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Maybe they get paid to much. If they are bored, they can afford all crap that will entertain them.

14. happ

happ PECAVI

May be a blessing for the Falcons, it's over, and they have reason to terminate his contract and recoup their salary cap money.

15. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

Finally this Dirtbag gets what he deserves!

16. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

aaron brooks to the falcons in 3...2...

17. DaBearsrule4ever

I don't give a crap how much Vick has done for the league. Just like everyone on this board, Michael Vick IS NOT, I repeat, NOT above the law. Ray Buchannon as far as i'm concerned can go straight to hell for his comments. Lets see here, god knows how many dead dogs were dug up in the backyard, his co-defendants have turned on him and Vick did nothing wrong? GIVE ME A BREAK! One of the sadest things in my opinion is that kids look up to athletes like this and it sends kids the wrong message.

18. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Bill Parcells on last nights Monday Night Countdown show brought out the numbers of players in the league in trouble for something. Of the 1,950 players in the league including all practice squads only 2% of them are in trouble for something. If you look at the majority of society, that number is comparable. The reason there is such a negative stigma about the NFL is that the media and fans only focus on the bad things that happen. Players who build homes for poor people don't get front page headlines (e.g. Warrick Dunn). The volunteering done by players is only seen on commercials, not the lead story on Sportscenter or news telecast. The NFL isn't any different from the majority of society in this regard IMO. They're just one of the largest entertainment entities in this country with a massive amount of media, monatary and social influence.

19. KASSIE

KASSIE What's It to YA??

Amen to what dougiee said

20. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I don't think you can compare these numbers, because non of them had to steal food to survive or something like that.
    But you're right that there is a focus on the league and a negative news about Vick is a better seller than Dunn is building 1000 houses. The media is aware of that and push the bad news, even if they are minor indicents. But for Vicks case, it wasn't DUI or some other "minor" thing. It was a well organized crime that runs for years.