Gridironfans.com Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by RetroDan#16, May 5, 2007.

1. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

My nomination is The Drive

John Elway was the king of the comebacks but none were famous then the drive. With just 5 minutes left on the clock the Broncos we on their own 2 yard line. 98 Yards stood between them and overtime. According to Browns Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer the onus was on the secondary to stop Elway. But they didn't the Broncos got to the 5 yard line and then Elway found rookie wideout Mark Jackson for the TD. The Broncos when on to win in overtime and would lose to the New York Giants at Superbowl XXI. The drive was also selected as 1 of the top 25 moments included on the video game EPSN 2K5 with was released as ESPN celebrated 25 years as the world wide leader in sports.

2. RetroDan#16

RetroDan#16 Resident Artiste

Last day for nominations, any more, please?!

3. happ

happ PECAVI

I nominate Dan Reeves...

from wikipedia:
    Dan Reeves (born January 19, 1944) is a former American football player and head coach. He holds the record for most Super Bowl appearances as a player or a coach with 9. Also, he holds the distinction of being the first coach to ever lead his team to a playoff victory at Lambeau Field.

Early life
    Born in Americus, Georgia, Reeves attended school at the University of South Carolina, where he played quarterback. He was later inducted into the school's Hall of Fame in 1988.

NFL Career
    Over eight seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, Reeves collected 1,990 rushing yards and 1,693 receiving yards. His best year came in 1966, when he rushed for seven touchdowns, good for second in the league, and threw a touchdown pass in the Cowboys' losing effort in the notorious "Ice Bowl;" the 1967 Championship Game against the Green Bay Packers. The Cowboys made the playoffs every year of Reeves's playing days, reaching the Super Bowl twice and culminating in a 24-3 victory over the Miami Dolphins in 1971.

Beginning of his Coaching Career
    Worn down by multiple injuries, Reeves began serving on the sidelines as a player/coach in 1970 and after his full retirement in 1972 he took a job on the team as the running backs coach. After leaving the sport for a business position in 1973, he returned to the Cowboys again in 1974 as running backs coach, and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1977. The Cowboys made 3 more Super Bowls during Reeves' tenure as an assistant coach, earning him another ring in 1977 with a win over the Denver Broncos.
    In 1981, the 37 year old Reeves was made head coach and Vice President of the Denver Broncos, making him at the time the youngest head coach in the league. Over the next 12 years, Reeves led the Broncos to a 110-73-1 regular season record (7-6 playoff), six playoff appearances, and three appearances in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, Reeves was never able to win the big game with the Broncos. Friction between him and John Elway led to his departure from Denver, but he would still find opportunities to coach. Interestingly, his problems with Elway would come back to haunt him later in his career, in Super Bowl XXXIII.
    In 1993, Reeves took over as head coach of the floundering New York Giants. In his first season at the helm, the Giants went 11-5 and made the playoffs for the first time in three years, giving the fans and team hope that Reeves was the answer to the team's troubles. For his efforts, Reeves was named Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. However, Reeves could not duplicate his success, and was fired at the end of the 1996 season, leaving behind a 31-33 record with the Giants.
    In 1996, Reeves took on his biggest challenge yet by accepting the head coaching job of the Atlanta Falcons. The year before the Falcons had gone 3-13, and they had done little to improve their personnel. Yet by 1998, Reeves led the team to a 14-2 record and his record 9th Super Bowl appearance on the sidelines. That year was particularly tumultuous for Reeves, who underwent emergency bypass surgery midway through the season. Although the team lost Super Bowl XXXIII by a 34-19 margin against Reeves's old team the Denver Broncos, Reeves was widely hailed for the team's turnaround, and was again awarded the Coach of the Year honor. Again, however, Reeves failed to maintain the level of excellence he had attained early in his post, and he was fired towards the end of the 2003 season.
    Reeves' career coaching record is 201-174-2, including an 11-9 record in the playoffs. His 201 wins are currently the most ever by a coach that did not win a Super Bowl. Today, Reeves serves as a spokesperson for Zocor, a cholesterol lowering medicine.
    On December 12, 2005, Reeves was hired as a talent consultant for the NFL's Houston Texans. The Texans' new head coach (as of January 2006) is former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator and quarterback Gary Kubiak, who was drafted in the eighth round of the 1983 Draft by then-Broncos coach Reeves.

Current Career
    Reeves currently covers NFL games as a color analyst (teamed with play-by-play man Bill Rosinski) for the second Sunday afternoon game on Westwood One radio network. Including working on the radio broadcast Dan Reeves speaks at corporate and football events around the country. He has also expressed recent interest in making a return to coaching, possibly hinting at the Dallas Cowboys' head coach opening, which was previously held by Bill Parcells.
    On April 12th 2007, Reeves accepted a position with Georgia State University in Atlanta, to assist in the decision making process and fundraising for a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly D1-AA) football team, that will compete in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) football league.

4. RetroDan#16

All nomination from hereon are for week 4. Let's have some!

5. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

When will we know the Week 3 winners?

6. RetroDan#16

Before midweek, work and kids permitting...

Actually I'm having trouble retrieving the messages from the judges regarding their votes so as soon as I get that sorted I'll put them up (Judges if you read this, could you resend me the votes through this site as I can't log in to uknflfan.) Sorry for the delay.

7. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

What happened to this thread?......Did it just die or....???? What?

8. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

I was wondering the same thing

9. RetroDan#16

Yeah, it kind of died after we had two weeks of no nominations! If anyone wants us to start it back up again, thrown in some nominations and we'll carry on!

10. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Let's Revive This Thread....Hope I'm posting this nomination correctly..

I'll Nominate Andre Reed
    [​IMG]
    [From Wikipedia]
    Pro Bowls 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992,
    1993, 1994, 1995
    Honors: Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame
    Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame

16 Seasons

951 Receptions [5th All Time]
    13198 Yards Receiving [8th All Time]
    13.9 Yards Per Catch
    87 Receiving Touchdowns[10th All Time]

11. RedskinsNo.1

RedskinsNo.1 R.I.P Sean Taylor

Nice one to start Platoon

12. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Definitley IMO. Reed should be in for all he's done in his career.

13. RedskinsNo.1

Yea i agree totally, i will come up with a couple of nominations of my own in the coming days to try and help get this back up and running

14. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Awesome, good to hear.

15. RedskinsNo.1

Well i think its a great idea so it makes sense to get it back running again

16. RetroDan#16

That's great to see some interest again - I'll leave nominations open for a week from today (Wednesday) and hopefully coax my judging team out of retirement!

The HOF kind of went on the backburner while I've been throwing myself into my football uniform research, but I'd love to see some nominations - Platoon, your nomination was spot on - and a good one to start again with.

17. RedskinsNo.1

Yea how's the uniform stuff coming along dan?

18. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

I'll start off with another nomination: Charles Haley
    [​IMG]
    [From Wikipedia]
    Pro Bowls: 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995
    12 Seasons:
    169 Games Played
    100.5 Sacks
    2 Interceptions

Let's get some more nominations going:icon_cool:

19. RetroDan#16

Turning into a major project - hence the lack of blog updates! I'm in the middle of creating a huge database of uniforms from the last 30 years; sad I know, but it keeps me off the streets!

20. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

500 vCash and Rep To Whoever gets the next nomination!