How good are the Bears?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by TDJets72027, Aug 27, 2007.

1. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

In the wake of Saturday night's dominant performance against the San Francisco 49ers, you have to wonder how good the Bears' defense will be with a healthy Tommie Harris.

The problem is, it might be awhile before that question can be answered.

Harris has yet to play in the preseason as he works his way back from last season's torn hamstring. And, since starters barely play enough in the fourth preseason game to work up a sweat, it's quite possible Harris won't play at all in the preseason.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=25931

2. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Maybe the question should be, are the Niners over-hyped.

3. CloudyFuture

CloudyFuture The Future is Cloudy

9ers didnt have gore so can not really judge the O really (not to mention some of the playcalling was like a little off the wall for the 9ers to I thought) but that D would worry me if I was a 9er fan....

As for the Bears they can only go as far as Rex can take them (sometimes even then the D and Hester bails them out).....Though the schedule is tougher this year so who knows....

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Is the question about the Bears or Bears defense? If the question is about the Bears defense....they are very good ....probably the best in NFL along with Ravens. If the question is about the Bears as a team....The answer is......The Bears are only as good as Rex Grossman. When he is good they are good and when he is bad they are mediocre....because their d is so good. I think they can get back to NFC championship and maybe Super Bowl but they won't win it with Rex as qb.

5. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

We can't win a SB with Rex? Uh, we were a few mistakes away from winning it all.

6. Jbuch79

Jbuch79 Rookie

I agree to a point Doug.
    With Griese as the starter the Bears would be a good team. However, Griese does not get us to the superbowl imo.

Then, we have Rex. Rex has the tools to make the Bears a great team this year. When he plays well he plays like a top 5 QB in the league. If you don't believe that then you haven't been watching. Of course , it goes without saying that when he plays bad, he plays really bad.

I think that at least for the first few weeks of the season it's best to let Grossman work out the bugs. If he can, I think the Bears have the potential to be a great (not just good) team this year.

7. P16

P16 posting while intoxicated

The mistakes were made by Grossman, thus you couldn't win a SB with him. Where's your argument?

8. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Exactly and he will keep a very good team from winning Super Bowl. Another qb last year and Bears are Champs not Colts. I agree Rex looks great when he's on but the bears needed Trent Dilfer...someone who wasn't hot and cold....just managed the team and made a couple plays...was a leader too..

Seahawks were a few mistakes from keeping Bears from seeing the Super Bowl at all too....:icon_neutral:

9. Brooklyn

Brooklyn AKEKEKEKEKE!!!

bears suck but giants suck more..that is all :(

10. Milan

Milan Starter

You guys shouldn't worry this much about preseason, Week 3 or not. Didn't the Raiders go 4-0 last preseason?

11. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

12. Jbuch79

Jbuch79 Rookie

But to answer the question of the thread:

Really freaking good. So good, that they may be able to beat a few afc teams this year. Maybe better than all of the AFC teams combined....

:beer3:

13. Megatron

Megatron Starter

That and the D rolled out the red carpet in the middle for Dominic Rhodes.

14. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Homer alert.... :icon_neutral:

15. Jbuch79

Jbuch79 Rookie

Maybe that was a little over the top

:icon_cool:

16. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

The Bears were actually still in that game as crapty as they were playing that night against the Colts until that one interception Rex threw that got returned for a TD. The Colts dinked and ducked us to death with those short passes and it worked to perfection. Thats why the Bears defense was on the field for 2/3 of Super Bowl XLI.

17. Jbuch79

Jbuch79 Rookie

:word: people always forget about that part. What did he have...193 yards?

I'm not ready to give up on Grossman yet. So everyone I talk to about it looks at me like I'm an idiot. Am I that wrong to want to see at least 3-4 regular season games before pulling the plug on this guy?

18. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Everyone has their opinion on Grossman. You either think he has what it takes or you don't think he has what it takes. Grossman took a lot of heat from the media last year and took it like a man.

19. CaptainSug

CaptainSug NFL-Fans refugee

Our defense is good. We have playmakers everywhere on offense now with Hester and Olsen already joining a group that had a legit big play threat in Bernard Berrian. People forget this team scored the 2nd most points in the NFL last season.

The problem with the Bears through some parts of last year, and what figures to be the problem this year is inconsistency. Our defense of course pretty routinely beats the crap out of teams, thats what happens when you draft all defense for 4 years and focus your offseason around acquiring veterans there every offseason. But the offense, more importantly the offensive line has been totally neglected. Olsen is nice, and Hester is the most talented athlete in the professional sports realm and coupled with Berrian we'll be explosive to say the least. But what our offense needs to do more than anything is win TOP and the turnover battle, and you need a good OL to do that. We dont have one, Olin is a very good Center.. maybe the best. But Miller and Roberto Garza both are crap and John Tait has always been better suited on the Right Side.

I guess we have Josh Beekman, who supposedly plays Football. But we have 0 tackle depth and we wont win anything with Fred Miller on the Right Side (unfortunately, that holds true with John St. Claire also).

20. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

11-5 with room for improvement.