Bench Alex Smith

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BarlOwens, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Well Smith's "benched" now. Dilfer's no good either though, and then after him it's Shaun Hill, who's not worth crap. Great..

2. steadypimpin

steadypimpin Still pimpin'

I still think Dilfer will do better than Smith if our line can protect him.

3. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

Our line most def has to step up and step up huge. They need to act like men and not the brow beat kids they seem to be. Jennings is a complete joke right now, getting owned in physical run blocks and getting abused in pass rushes! HIT someone, stop letting people go free, take them low and get them on the ground....do SOMETHING!

I mean c'mon...we have a rookie T that out performing everyone on the line...thats just sad!

4. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Maybe Nolan will call Tim Rattay back. :icon_mrgreen:

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

so you want to put the blame on a very young qb who needs help from a suspect o-line and needs more time to grow into the position and put your team into the hands a qb who has proven time and time again that he is not a starting qb ?

wow :icon_eek:

6. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

you obviously only read what you want to....

7. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

I'll tell you what..we'll trade him and his 50 million dollars to the eagles for McChoke...you want him?

You obviously haven't watched Alex Smith play.....our O-line played like crap Sunday..it wasn't playing that poorly against the Rams and Cardinals and Smith just couldnt throw the ball downfield..he thinks too much...acts far too slowly..

We need to trade if they want to contend this year..they need to make a move, cuz Alex Smith is not the future of this franchise...he'll never even throw for more than 3k in a year..

8. I bleed Sooner red

I bleed Sooner red Fans refugee

:laughy32:

The line gave up 3 times as many sacks in the Rams/Cardinals game than they did against Steelers/Seahawks with Smith.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

actually i meant to quote "steadypimpin" ...

apples and oranges

actually i have and like IBSR mentioned the o-line was gave up more sacks against the rams/cardinals so how did it not play just as poorly ?

:rolllaugh:

if guys don't think the "o-line" is the biggest issue maybe you should take into consideration the fact that gore has yet to break 100yrds rushing in a game this year.

i guess that's all gore's fault ?

10. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

It is a huge issue for sure. That said, Its Smiths job to audible, to get the ball out quick, to use the d's aggressiveness against them...when they blitz he has to make them pay for it so they stop. Smith isnt capable of this and hes proven it time and time again.

Every pos qb out there can move the ball and put up #'s if they have time to do so...FRANCHISE qbs like Smith need to get the job done when he has no time. Find a way, find the soft spot, find the weakness and take advantage of it....thats the job of the qb, right?

11. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

No..if you'd read my posts instead of choosing to be selective with which posts you read of mine, you'd have seen that I blamed Hostler for his vanilla run calls (inside tackle, inside tackle, inside tackle) and the fact Smith is not capable of calling an audible and throwing over the top to 1 on 1 receivers when the defense stacks 8 in the box everytime..:icon_rolleyes:

12. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

Rattay was doing pretty good for you all when they traded him. And the bucs slapped him in the face, when they played gradkowski over him. that was so ignorant. Oh well, that got that last second FG vs the Steelers so they wouldnt get shut out... hahahhaha

13. lruddicks

lruddicks kcs redneck

why's everyone still trying to bench alex he's hurt that makes him benched aleady lol.

14. steadypimpin

steadypimpin Still pimpin'

hopefully Dilfer does well this week and then they might not want Alex to come back.

15. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

We can hope, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

16. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

thread was made a week before he got injured....

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

oh i'm soooo sorry i didn't go read everyone of your posts. :icon_redface:

are you sure it's a case of smith isn't capable of calling an audible or is more the fact that he isn't allowed to.

again, the o-line is the biggest part of the issue - your qb's do not consistently have the time to throw the ball let alone over the top to the wr's.

alex smith may not be the answer but nobody knows that for sure at this point.

the guy hasn't had the chance to develope. he didn't sit and learn the system for a couple of years like many FRANCHISE qb's do. that means something. very rarely does a young qb come in and put up big numbers when he's thrown to the wolves very early. epsecially when the o-line has issues.

he doesn't even have a good te to dump it off to which would help him tremendously. granted it's more because of injuries when it comes to davis but the fact is he isn't on the field. who is davis' back-up ? he is any good ? is smith just missing him ?

again i'm not saying smith is your future but personally i think he was put in way too early as the starter.

18. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Fair point. Rattay could have played the 2005 season before Nolan give Smith the keys.

19. SuperBeast

SuperBeast BANNED

I can go with what you said to a point but you have to realize he is regressing, not going forward and getting better....

The reason we drafted him is bc we thought he was mentally sound and he could handle being thrown to the wolves as a very young player...obviously we were wrong.

Back up TE is Delany Walker- He's a craphead of a blocker but has good hands and imo is more than good enough for Smith to use...problem is Smith and his ability to use the TE properly....He simply can't.

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

that's what i was thinking and didn't understand why they didn't keep rattay and let smith sit back and learn from the sidelines until this year.

it's hard for a young qb to do that. IMO nolan screwed up. rothlesberger did it but he had an established offense with a great o-line that produced a bigtime running attack that helped him alot.

well then that is on smith because suspect o-line or not he should still be able to use the te.

i just think the niners went about this all wrong. you shouldn't invest big money and a high draft pick into the qb position and not properly prepare him. i think the kid is completely shell shocked at this point.

maybe this time off will actually help smith if he spends the off time wisely by studying film and learning to read defenses and what not.

as long as he doesn't come and burn my team anyway. :icon_cool: