UFC 86

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by hermhater, Jul 6, 2008.

1. hermhater

hermhater Guest

It's starting now!!!!

Get everything together around your lazy boy and get ready for an awesome night of fights!!!!

:yahoo:

Glad to see that you all missed one of the biggest fights in MMA history!!!!

Who all bet on Forrest???

2. Vyse314

Vyse314 Slayer of beasts!

did anyone else see jim norton and robert kelly behind mandy moore before the griffin/jackson fight?

i popped like a little girl when i saw them. i got a room full of "wtf?" faces, but it made my night

3. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

I didnt see the fights, but from the recap of the Griffen/Jackson fight
    I wish I had

4. Fricker 4

Fricker 4 Crabtree fall to 10

it was a hard fought match but i still am in denial that they gave the decision to Forrest. its not that i dont like the kid, but besides that 2nd round rampage pretty much squared off and imo own the other rounds.

5. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I put 10k on Forrest.

I had plans to go see the fight with a bunch of guys but about 3 hours before we were suppose to the guy hosting called and said he was sick and couldn't have it at his place. Now after hearing that I missed the fight of the year I'm thinking of doing a re-enactment of Spider killing Franklin on this guy! From the looks of it the whole card was pretty good.

Here's the results for everyone that didn't get to see it.

Forrest Griffin def. Quinton Jackson (c) via unanimous decision
    UFC Light Heavyweight Championship

Patrick Cote def. Ricardo Almeida via split decision

Joe Stevenson def. Gleison Tibau via submission - Round 2, 2:57

Josh Koscheck def. Chris Lytle via unanimous decision

Tyson Griffin def. Marcus Aurelio via unanimous decision

Gabriel Gonzaga def. Justin McCully via submission - Round 1, 1:57

Cole Miller def. Jorge Gurgel via submission - Round 3, 4:48

Melvin Guillard def. Dennis Siver via TKO - Round 1, 0:36

Justin Buchholz def. Corey Hill via submission - Round 2, 3:57

6. Crunkbuc4d1

Crunkbuc4d1 Sweets' Man Slave

I agree, it seemed like they gave him the fight because of one round. Then the color guys tried to feed us a bunch of bull about how he won the fghts on leg kicks. I thought he missed most of those leg kicks, and didn't Rampage hurt his own leg?

7. dolphindude13

Why did Rampage say after the fight then "He kicked my ass"? and something to the effect of "He hurt my leg and I'm a bad actor?"

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

My feed locked up immediately after the end of round 5.

If anyone has a recap of the announcement of the winner, and the fans reactions, I would love to get a link, or a clip or something...

I think Rampage should have won the fight, but it was a good fight, and I can see how the judges might have given it to Forrest.

I still think that to beat the Champion, you need to finish him, or make it a decisive victory though.

:wise:

9. dolphindude13

I'll agree with that. The first thing I thought when I saw it went all 5 rounds was .....Rampage kept his belt because you have to beat the champ to take his belt. By everything I've read it was much closer than the judges scored it, in fact most people I've read articles from actually considered it a draw.

10. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Did anyone see the announcement?

Where the fans split, or did they boo, or cheer???

11. dolphindude13

12. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Thanks DD!

Here's a beer for ya!

No footage of the fans reaction, but a good set of post fight interviews.

13. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

I saw it 48-47 Griffin..so guess im in the minority...would have been a draw but I gave griffin a 2 point swing in the 2nd...

14. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Did Griffin ever punch Jackson and buckle him?

The leg kick that buckled Jackson for a half step, while Griffin was hopping back, is worth more points than Jackson uppercutting Griffin to the ground?

I'm sick of hearing about the second round.

Jackson got a few food kicks to the leg, he came back, and in my opinion won the fight.

:punch:

15. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

and im tired of hearing about "you have to take the belt from the champ"....Jackson should have pushed the fight more if he wanted to retain his belt...

if you wanted boxing, go watch boxing...the leg kick is worth more because Jackson spent the entire round on his back...and he came back and won the fight because of why? he dominate the 3rd round? no..even round..he got the 4th and griffin clearly the 5th....2 points in the 2nd for clearly dominating the entire round.....48-47...and thats with giving him the 1st which involved his one good punch the entire round being the uppercut....griffin set the pace the whole time....

16. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Griffin set the pace, I will give you that.

But I don't believe setting the pace beats the Champ.

You beat him, or you dominate him.

That is the only way to win.

5 good leg kicks to immobilize Jackson, and (NOT) dominating him on the ground (I must have missed that submission Griffon got that won it for him...) do not, a champion make.

I think Forrest is pretty classy, and I think Jackson is as well.

I also think this makes it a sure shot for a couple of rematches.

Jackson will win the next one, and then there is a third part to the fight.

I am still worried about the validity of a real win in the UFC, since that fight in England where Bisping lost to Hammel and still won???

I forgot.

:beersign:

17. Vyse314

Vyse314 Slayer of beasts!

imo, rampage won round 1. forrest won rounds 2, 4 and 5. round 3 was a toss up

18. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Griffin beat Jackson and it wasn't as close as people make it seem. He fought the smarter fight, pushed the pace, dictated tempo, and attacked much more effectively. I love Rampage and Forrest, but Forrest beat Rampage. There wasn't a single round in which Rampage won definatively. Round 1 was in Griffin's favor up until the upper cut.