Kaman Plays For Deutschland

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by chiefswin19games, Aug 17, 2008.

1. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

If you can make it to the Olympics go for it.

It would be ironic if Germany could magically beat the U.S (it won't happen) and he ended up on the winning team.

3. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Hmmmm? Heard of this situation where there was trouble in the family. Will have to research more. Sounds like he just wanted to get more exposure and took advantage of the avenue he had that others did not. Blood vs Country.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

We had been more than happy that we qualify us for the olympics

5. hermhater

hermhater Guest

That's not what I was talking about.

I was saying that if Kaman can play in the Olympics by playing for his ancestry then go for it.

Not Germany qualifying for the Olympics.

6. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

I think it's freaking wrong. If you can't make it with your own country, why go to another? Russia's worse because I don't think they even have to have any ancestoral ties, as in the black dude that plays for the men's basketball team. And before anyone goes spouting off that the U.S. does this also, they absolutely do not. You actually have to live here and become a citizen before you can suit up for any of our teams. Kaman's dad hasn't spoken to him since he found out about it, good for him.

7. InfinitePulse

InfinitePulse disgusted.

So, let me get this straight... if a person with Mexican parents is born here, they're American, but a person with black parents is born in Russia, he's not Russian?

There's nothing wrong with it either way... why go to another team? Because they want to be in the Olympics... simple...

8. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

As long as it boosts the competitiveness of the European Teams, I'm up for it, although there does need to be FIFA style restrictions (Up to Grandparents born in that country, 5 years of residency or born in the nation).

Personally I'm happy with the current ruling, as it lets us play Luol Deng, Ben Gordon and Kelenna Azubuike :)

9. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

Dude wasn't born in Russia, all he has is a Russian passport. And if the Mexicans immigrated legally and the kid was born here, then he's a citizen anyway. The people that are playing for these other countries are Americans, not Russians or Germans and they never will be Russians or Germans. They're not playing for any pride in the countries jerseys that they're wearing, they're playing because they want to get an Olympic medal for themselves. That's not what the Olympics are about. You honestly think Becky Hammond and J.R. Holden give a rat's butt about Russia?

10. InfinitePulse

InfinitePulse disgusted.

Umm... no, actually, even if your parents came over illegally, as long as you're born here, you are a citizen.

Who cares what team the players play for? They're doing whatever they can to try to make it to the Olympics... it's not enough for them to have their countries tell them that they're not good enough, they found other routes. It's legal and within the rules of the IOC, so I don't see what your problem is with it. You don't think that the country they're playing for will embrace them if they help that country win a medal?

This entire country is made up of people from all over the world, and just because they have citizenship here doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to play in their home countries either. Sounds like you're snitching just to snitch. Let it go.

11. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

It was a reply to