You Can't Beat Vin Scully

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by chiefswin19games, Sep 5, 2008.

1. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

I was just cfreaking out the Dodgers/Diamondbacks game and thought I'd start a thread in honor of one of the greatest announcers in baseball history.

Cheers to Vin. :drinks:

Homerun by Ethier, 1-0 Dodgers.

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Vin's great, I like the old timers calling games. Jack Buck was my favorite.....laid awake many of nights listening to Cards games on KMOX.

3. chiefswin19games

Yep, I listened to Jack quite a few times myself.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Scully was great. It's kind of tough listening to him these days. He makes so many mistakes.

5. chiefswin19games

He does a pretty good job. He calls the games by himself and always has something interesting to say about EVERY player. I don't think anyone get's left out when he calls a game. I might have a little west coast bias since I've been out here for a while though.

6. DawkinsINT

I don't hear him all of the time, but a few weeks ago, he kept calling Jimmy Rollins, "Jimmy Rolands". He did it on several occasions. I was like wtf? Is that some old friend of his from back in the 50s? :icon_lol:

7. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

All year long they looked to him (Kirk Gibson) to light the fire and all year long he answered the demands. High fly ball into right field. She is gone! [pause] In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."

Scully's call on Kirkys hr. " I can't believe what I just saw."

Vin is one of the greatest off all time. He may have lost a step but who hasn't. He will be 81 in November.

Cheers!!!!!!

8. DawkinsINT

An all-time classic call. He said exactly what everyone was thinking.

9. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

I watched that game live on TV - amazing HR and terrific call by a HOF Broadcaster....:notworthy:

10. dolphindude13

Uhhhh....That was Jack Buck on that call.:icon_eek:

11. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

I stand corrected on that part. See I lost a step and got my calls memory confused. Plus, I am on beer #4. No dis to Jack.:icon_cheesygrin:

12. dolphindude13

:Loco: It happens......I remember that call like it was yesterday along with Ozzie Smith's "Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy!"

13. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Best voice in the history of baseball. It's hard to think of broadcasting without thinking of Scully.

The "I can't believe what I just saw" wasn't Vin. However, "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened." is one of my favorite quotes and calls of all-time.

Yeah. Unfortunately, Kalas is starting to go down the same road. His depth perception is almost "outta here".

14. DawkinsINT

I totally agree. it's sad to see.