Which NFL Team Had The Worst Choke Job?

Discussion in 'NFL Smack Central' started by SRW, Dec 28, 2008.

?

Which Choke Job Was The NFL's Worst?

1. Dallas Cowboys (1-3 in December)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. New York Jets (1-4 in their final five games)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-4 in December)

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  4. Denver Broncos (1-3 in December)

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

(I got the idea for this thread after reading this)

We saw some epic meltdowns this month. The Cowboys had chance after chance (somehow) to earn a playoff spot and they blew it. The Jets were at one point 8-3 and coming off a win at previously unbeaten Tennessee. The Broncos had a three game lead in the AFC West with three games to go. The Buccaneers went 0-for-December on their way to backing out of the playoffs after a loss to the (gasp!) Raiders on their own homefield.

So...which was the biggest epic failure? Which team will suffer the most this offseason, knowing they had a chance and blew it all on their own?

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The Broncos in a close call.

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Holy crap this is tough.....all of them were miserable but it has to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.....I mean my God, they were 9-3 at one point and end the season losing to the Raiders? WTF? Did the old defense completely die?

4. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

When the Jets beat the Titans to end their undefeated streak, People had them winning the #1 spot in the AFC. Conversely, the Buccs were 9-3 and in the running for the #1 spot in the NFC. Granted the Broncos had a 3 game lead with 3 left, but The Buccs and Jets had their playoff spots locked up and no one had the Broncos making any noise in the playoffs like people did for the Jets or Buccs. People were talking about the draft picks they would give up based on how far the "great" favreini would take them. The Jets had a tougher string to play out. The Buccs lost 4 in a row to end the season, to me that is the worst of all. It reminds me of when the Eagles were 7-2 under the moron Rich Kotite and then failed the rest of the season. The Buccs, imo, were easily the biggest choke job.

5. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

cowboys just because they had higher expectations.

6. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Tampa

everyone knows Dallas sucks in December

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Bucs, after some thought but I voted Dallas cause I voted with my heart.... and I think from HBO show to 44-6, they fell the farthest and hardest

8. L.Johnson #27

L.Johnson #27 C-H-I-E-F-S - G-A-L-A-X-Y

Broncos , they playing in a crapty division :icon_cheesygrin:

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

What does the HBO show have to do with anything? :icon_lol:

The Bucs...easily. They had control of their destiny the whole season. From (I think) 9-3 to missing the playoffs on a loss to the Raiders at home in the last game of the season...by far the biggest choke.

The Cowboys were a mess all season.

The Jets are the Jets.

The Broncos should've never been on top of that division to start...although I heard during the game that they were the only team to go wire to wire leading their respective division alone.

10. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

what mike said

11. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Close call but I went with the Broncos. At one point through 13 games, wern't the Broncos 8-5 and the Chargers 5-8?

12. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I don't really care about the other three choke jobs so the cowboys have my vote, considering their early favourite status.

13. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

dallas sucked all season. tampa.

14. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

Only 2 for the Jets? This is madness!:icon_eek:

15. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I went with the Broncos...everyone was so sure they were gonna win the division...it was sweet to see the Chargers take that away from them!! :icon_cool:

No one really expected them to do much anyway. :icon_cheesygrin:

16. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

I think the Packers should have been included in this poll - losing 5 of their last 6.

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

All a part of the ridiculous hype machine declaring them the future SB champs.

18. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

I was crushed by the Broncos, but I saw it coming for a while. I guess Tampa's choke and losing to the Chargers made it all possible, so I'm voting for them.

19. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

2008: Season Of The Choker

The play-off picture is now clear. We know who will and who won't continue in the race for the Super Bowl.

Over the last few weeks the potential play-off picture has changed dramatically but the reason it has being so competitive right down to the wire is the fact that four teams in particular just lost the plot. Let us take a look:

Denver Broncos: The AFC West always looked a two horse race before the season started and whilst the eventual pre-season favourites for the title - the Chargers - came through in the end the fact Denver led from start to finish is a tailspin in the style of a horse like Crisp or Devon Loch in the Grand National. Losing their last three games after holding a commanding lead over the Chargers and still having their own fate in their hands inn the season finale they couldn't get it done. Injuries in the offensive backfield certainly didn't help and they had a tough run in after beating the Chiefs in Week 14 but there is no excuse for their awful performances on defense all season and whilst the Chargers have had a poor season by the standards expected, they at least took their chance and kept on playing hard which is more deserving of post season play than the Broncos.

It's worth noting ever since I wrote a blog about Norv Turnip's, er, Turner's lack of being clutch they have got the job done. I wonder if that blog became bulletin board material?

New York Jets: In Week 12 the Jets were the first team to beat the Titans this season and the talk was of a Subway Series Super Bowl with the Giants as well as the Jets possibly gaining home field advantage for the play-offs. How would Giants stadium be used if both teams host a Championship game we asked? The Jets solved that problem by losing four of their last five and Brett Favre going into a lull that hasn't being seen before in his career (his last five games he never rated better than 62 throwing only 2 TD passes to 9 interceptions. His last two games he rated below 50. What makes it even worst is the man they dumped so they could install Favre as starter - Chad Pennington - is the QB of the team that beat them to the division and delivered the killer blow.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Sitting pretty at 9-3 and having just beaten the Saints the Buc's looked like a can't miss shot for post season a month ago. In the rough and tumble of the NFC South though, they fell apart and perhaps the most shocking part of their season end demise has being the state of their run defense which has being ripped apart down this losing stretch. Michael Turner, the Panthers duo of Williams and Stewart, LT and then the Raiders Michael Bush all had field days against a defense that looked more like Monte Kiffin' new Tennessee defense than his all star Tampa 2.

The toughness of the South and the run in didn't help but a last game against a poor Raiders team and the fact the Eagles - Cowboys result went their way makes their fall from grace tough to take.

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys are famed for their late season collapses and owner Jerry Jones needs to look at himself in the mirror. Instead of deciding if he needs another face lift, he must decide if he is the right person tom control team affairs because it is clear the Cowboys policy of fantasy football is not working. Lsing three of their last four is tough to take but the schedule was certainly no cakewalk. What makes it tough to take for the Cowboys is they had recovered well from a mid-season slump where Tony Romo had gone missing and got themselves right back into play-off contention. They even ran the Steelers close at home before beating the #1 seed in the NFC Giants. Then they proceeded to close Texas Stadium with a loss and get blown out on the road by Philly with their fate in their on hands.

Tony Romo tried his heart out and he is getting a rep - perhaps unfairly - as a choker but he didn't look 100% to me and a lack of running attack at times, some inconsistent play from his OL and receivers as well as being left out to dry by Jason Garrett's play calling are bigger reasons for Dallas' end of season collapse.

Which team do you see as the pulling off the biggest choke job? One of the above or a team like the Redskins who started the year 6-2 only to finish 8-8 or the Bills who enjoyed a fine start to the season only to hit the wall early?

20. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Other: :bills:

From a 5-1 start to a 2-8 finish while going 0-6 in the division. The Bills meltdown deserves some pub too.