The $65,000 Football Card

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by wide right, Jun 2, 2009.

1. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Almost a year after it first surfaced at last years National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago, the only BGS 10 Joe Montana Rookie Card in existence recently sold at auction for the staggering sum of $65,880, according to Modern Marvels Auctions president Dave Amerman. According to Beckett Media Senior Market Analyst Dan Hitt, the figure is easily the most ever paid for a professionally graded, modern-era football card. In addition, its the third highest sale of a single football card ever recorded by Beckett Media, surpassed only by two different sales of an SGC 96 Mint copy of Bronko Nagurskis 1935 National Chicle card, for $240,000 and $80,000, respectively. Clearly, the condition of the card and the BGS 10 grade associated ultimately attributed to the final sale price, Amerman admits. The facts are that this is the only one of this grade and perhaps the finest known example available in the world.

Source: Tracy Hackler, The Beckett Blog

2. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Its still just a card with a picture on it :groan:

Whoever pays that much is crazy no matter how rare its the biggest rip off ever.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]

I have that card in my collection...probably not in mint condition and definitely not graded...what? what's that? I guess I could let it go for $20,000...I guess...

4. ball in the baskett

You need to cash that baby in.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Mine is probably worth about $2.50...if that...

6. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Some places won't even bother if it's not in mint condition.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

8. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

CASH IT IN! LOl he says.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'll have to dig mine out and see how it is...a lot of the regular cards on eBay have sold for $25 - $75...

10. ball in the baskett

I have a card collection i still have mine but i dont know how people are crazy enough to throw out that much money for a card.

I have some of those cards with the pieces of jerseys in them which is pretty cool.

i have a piece of mike vicks,ron artests, and stojocovic jersey.

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

That's a crap load of money...

Damn...

12. ball in the baskett

Just remembered i have a sick allen iverson rookie card double sided and a bad butt see through effect.

13. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

whoever purchased it has the money to waste on something like that

14. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Beckett got it listed at $75/150

15. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

No matter what your card is worth in the eyes of professionals, ultimately it's only worth what someone else will pay for it. Ok 86, I'll give you $3.00 and a GIF Hoody, that's worth more then anything out there today...

16. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

I have a collection, but I really don't care about it, some day I will cash it in

17. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

[​IMG]

i have this card as well, and note there is no logo on the helmet

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't think Topps paid for the usage of NFL logo's from 1970-1981...

19. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

86, I will give you $65,000 for the card. In VCash.:icon_cheesygrin:

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

:turtledance: