49ers WR Michael Crabtree Scared Off Some GM's

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Aug 23, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

One general manager, whose team could have used WR Michael Crabtree, said he never would have taken him because he could sense a holdout and didn't like his attitude. Crabtree, the 10th player picked, by the 49ers, wants a better deal than Darrius Heyward-Bey (five years, $38.5 million with $23.5 million guaranteed), the first wideout taken when he was drafted seventh by the Raiders. Crabtree is trying to beat the slotting system that pays players based on where they are drafted.

Source: New York Daily News

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Hold out, don't get signed, enter next years draft, go in round five and get only a 800,000 sigining bonus and no guarenteed money.

3. Underground Dyer

Underground Dyer Chicago Bears Know-It-All

That's good sound strategy right there. :icon_cheesygrin:

The idiot might just follow it too, because if he thinks that he can do all of this and still go in the first round next year he's nuts. Ability or not, no one will pick him in day one or two next year (draft is three days long next year).

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Rookie salary cap would be the solution for this kind of crap

1 person likes this.
  5. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

true that olly true that

6. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

Exactly. I really hope he doesn't think this lame threat will work........then again maybe I do. It would be entertaining to see this happen. :icon_cheesygrin:

7. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

the latest he could go and get a SB of 800,000 is mid round 3, in round 5 he would be looking at a bonus of about 200,000

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I REALLY hope he's made an example of.

9. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

if he hold out til next year he wont be able to hold private workouts with any teams, go to any pro days or the combine or im pretty sure the niners could sue him cause they are all considered working out for other teams. and he cant go back to college and play (since he was a sophomore) since declaring for the draft makes you a pro athlete, hes no longer and amateur athlete.

even if he would be a first round prospect next year, which he wouldnt....benn and bryant would go ahead of him, okung, trent williams and ciron black would go ahead of him, 3 dlineman, probably 2 LBs, 2 safeties putting him right back in the teens at best in a best case scenerio. but chances are he wouldnt even sniff the 3rd round

10. Androidraider24

Androidraider24 Team Veteran

The Niner should just reduce his offer every day he holds out.

Then when he comes back into next years draft he wont get drafted till the mid rounds.

Ill give the Niners credit for not giving into his demands based on mock drafts.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's being a freaking idiot...he's screwing himself everyday...dope.

12. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

yea he needs to just suck it up and take what is being offered to him he is not going to get more money then dhb just sign a contract produce then renegotiate it after you have proven yourself

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

'Some' GM's were pretty smart then...

14. Lethalmind

Lethalmind Mr. Justice

I think he's being unprofessional about it. IIRC, didn't he even make a statement calling Oakland's signing of DHB a mistake? He isn't making the right decision here, and his plan to holdout and go through the drafting process again is BOUND to flop resulting in even less money than now because teams aren't fans of the behavior he's shown.

Aside from my feelings on how Crabtree is handling this situation, this is exactly why I don't agree with some of the NFL's policies regarding rookie signings. They are paying far too much for unproven rookies and some deserving veterans are constantly overlooked because of it. There are players who show up, play consistently, and will never see the kind of money that a top 8 draft pick gets.

15. russian.tank

russian.tank BruceAlmighty2010

Mr. Al Davis

16. K Train

you dont really believe this do you? you know damn well hes not afraid of attitude like crabtree, he would have been gone no question if davis had a 4.4 stopwatch speed on him and davis would have had no issue working out a deal and overpaying so it hecks everything else up for the rest of the teams

17. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

In a way, I almost hope he doesn't sign and save us from another potential first round bust... and a ton of money.

Hopefully this opens some eyes in the NFL and NFLPA offices.

18. K Train

i dont think he will be a bust...i know im in the minority here but the man is very physical and catches everything. people like to say he was one on one all the time but thats misleading...sure sometimes he was (in which case he dominated like he was supposed to) but he mastered the college game and would cosistantly beat double and triple teams

19. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Had he signed without aiming for the moon, I wouldn't have been worrying about him being a bust. But with all that crap, there's gonna be a permanent target on him and people (me included) will criticize him for holding out and missing TC and preseason if he doesn't catch 70 balls for 800+ yards or something.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Furthermore, I didn't realize this at the time but, usually Big 12 WRs don't really make it happen in the NFL.

20. russian.tank

russian.tank BruceAlmighty2010

Actually I don't. I'm glad that we did pass on Crabtree and I'm surprised we did not sign Vick.