Charlie Weis To Leave Chiefs To Become Gators' Offensive Coordinator?

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by SRW, Dec 31, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A new report suggest Charlie Weis could be the next offensive coordinator at the University of Florida. Weis, who was ousted as head coach at Notre Dame after last season, has guided the Kansas City Chiefs to one of their most productive offensive years in history. He has Matt Cassel playing at a level he hasn’t seen since his time with the New England Patriots and is exceeding expectations on all fronts. Staying in Kansas City seems the natural fit for Weis. Even a jump to a head coaching job in the NFL seems more likely than a departure to become the offensive coordinator at Florida, but that’s exactly what Gainesville Sun columnist Pat Dooley suggests will happen. “In terms of Florida’s Offensive Coordinator, if you’re driving in your car, I want you to pull over,†Dooley said in a recent interview, per SportsByBrooks.com. “I think this is going to happen but I don’t know that it’s going to happen. . . .I think your new offensive coordinator for the Florida Gators is going to be Charlie Weis. I’ve heard this from some people in the NFL, that that’s going on. My first reaction was, ‘are you kidding me, why would Charlie Weis leave Kansas City to go to Florida in the same job’? … Wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense.â€

Source: Football News Now

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  2. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

this makes no sense ...............

4. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow. What the hell?

6. No way Weis leaves the NFL to go back to college after just one season......that would be freaking stupid.

7. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Local rumors have been going all season that Weis and Haley didn't get along at all. Weis definitely isn't going to be back which sucks as a Chiefs fan.

8. Why would he leave the Chiefs after just one year is beyond me.......

9. That really sucks.......look what he did to Matt Cassel.

He molded him into a Pro Bowl and maybe an All-Pro QB........he's only thrown 5 interceptions in 14 games.

Only Phil Simms and Steve DeBerg threw fewer in a season in that many games with 4 in 1990.

I think Haley may call the plays himself next season.

10. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I don't get it either. He would be one helluva recruiting tool though.

11. Could be......but I guess the college ranks is still where Charlie's heart is......even after the Norte Dame catastrophe.

The latter is why I'm really scratching my head about his decision however.

12. One other note......everyone knows that Bill Cowher has been linked to be the Giants' next head coach but I'm a little surprised Weis wasn't even mentioned considering at one time.....that was his dream job.

I guess he's found a new love.

13. can i get a link on weis and haley not getting along? I believe you but I'd like something definite.

It makes sense. Weis was basically fired and rumor is the Chiefs will grab Mcdaniels.

14. I don't need words to express why that will never happen.......

[​IMG]

15. I'm just posting what ESPN is saying.

btw Haley did apologize after the game and said he was wrong.

Pioli calls the shots on that team not Haley anyway.

16. He may have apologized......but I think he still meant what he said to McDaniels that "a lot of crap was being talked about him."

If personal friction is the reason Weis is leaving for Florida......what sense does it make to bring in another offensive coordinator that you've already had some prior conflict with?

I don't think Pioli wants to ruffle his coaches feathers.......he's basically left Haley alone and that's how it should be. It's the head coach's decision to hire his staff.....not the G.M.

17. I agree with all the above I'm just trying to understand Mortensen's report.

18. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Mort is terrible. Weis leaving will ruin the Chiefs offense. Last year was an indication that Haley can't handle both the HC and OC duties. Weis should come down a little bit farther south than Gainesville.

19. Brad Childress has a better chance of becoming the Chiefs' new offensive coordiantor than McDaniels.......

:Loco:

20. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

It has mainly been on the talk radio circuit along with some of the beat reporters. I don't think any of them had the stones to put it in print for fear of being shut out from team stories. Nick Wright, a local radio host that has some ins with some of the Chiefs players, started pushing this Haley vs. Weis thing a little before Thanksgiving. He was saying the players have noticed the animosity and would be surprised if Weis stuck around after the season. Haley wouldn't stay out of the offense and Weis resented that. They reportedly had shouting matches almost daily.

Whitlock essentially predicted this last January right after he was hired. Michael Smith and other are now saying they aren't surprised based on their egos.

I don't think McDaniels will come here. Why would he work for Haley? He'll have several other opportunities I believe. Also, Haley calls the shots on his coaching staff. Sure Pioli has the final say, but Haley is in charge of his staff.

Only local beat reporter Kent Babb isn't buying in to this story yet. Says it doesn't make sense to him even after the arguments and disagreements he witnessed between the two.