Charlie Weis To Leave Chiefs To Become Gators' Offensive Coordinator?

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by SRW, Dec 31, 2010.

1. they aren't doing it now. I didn't say they were.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Duke is right...it's almost safe to say that Mortensen is wrong as much as he is right.

There's got to be a link somewhere if Mort reported it...it's a pretty big story. The only thing I've heard is there are reports that Weis will be with the Gators. Nothing about the Chiefs firing him...yet...

Not saying you are wrong, just questioning the source, timing and lack of a link.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I meant why "announce" it now?

4. Chiefs won't announce anything. Haley has proven that and imho the Chiefs will spin it to make it look like he left on his own.

Why has Fla. let it leak? My guess is to help with recruiting/ fan support.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Put it this way Adam, I will believe it is official when Adam Schefter reports the story. Until then this is speculation. And Schefter is the best in the business and is correct around 95% of the time.

6. Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I meant him leaving. Not that the Gators want him.

8. well of course there won't be any official links but the Gators seem to already have him.

but... I've already posted why it makes sense for Weis to leave.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't doubt the Gators part.

I have trouble believing that the Chiefs have already fired Weis...if that is indeed their intention...

10. I agree I don't think they've fired him YET but they will.

11. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Schefter was the first person to bring this up like a week or two ago on the Sunday pregame stuff.

In Schefter's web chat yesterday:

Ross (Kansas City)
    Any updates on Charlie Weis to Flordia news?
    Adam Schefter
    (2:42 PM)

My buddy Mort is reporting that Charlie Weis is being targeted by the University of Florida to take over as offensive coordinator. Weis is expected to take the job. But the one thing I feel confident in saying is, he won't be back in Kansas City next season.

Kris (NJ)
    What is the reaon for Weis leaving KC?
    Adam Schefter
    (2:52 PM)

Kris: The sense is that Weis and Todd Haley's personalities are different enough that it could pose some issues.

Ryan (KC)
    You seem confident Weis wont be back in KC..... Thats very bad news for me
    Adam Schefter
    (2:53 PM)

Sorry to start your new year in a disappointing way, Ryan. But it was bound to happen. We talked about it on our pregame show last Sunday and now the reports seem to be mushrooming. Something to it.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I can see that. My questions came in your "update" post where you said he has been fired by the Chiefs.

Everything else I totally agree with. He won't be in KC next season and he'll most likely be a huge asset for the Gators in Florida!

13. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

What I've read is IF Weis leaves KC, then odds are good that McDaniels will be our next OC....and really, McDaniels sucked as a HC, but he's pretty good as an OC and QB's coach, and he does have history with Pioli and with Matt Cassel. The Chiefs will be fine, whatever happens....I'm optimistic! :icon_smile:

14. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Hearing now that Weis has a son that is graduating high school and was going to work for Muschamp at UT, now his son plans to follow Muschamp to Florida so he wants to work with his son.

15. sorry all I meant by the update was that it's been decided he will be fired not that they'll do it now.

16. this is true I was just about to add that.

That combined with my other 3 reasons.

17. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

An interesting tweet from a sports reporter at the KC Star, Sam Mellinger.

18. MoorenMoore

MoorenMoore Rookie

merge

Is this another Kiffin story in the making? Dad and son coaching together....

19. It could happen and Pioli could suggest it to Haley.....but it's Todd's call. Like I said earlier.....it's the coaches ultimate decision who he wants on his staff.

And I don't see McDaniels coming to K.C. The reports of Weis wanting to work with his son is nice and every coach would love to work with their children and should if they get the chance.....but that's not the sole reason Weis is leaving.

Haley and Weis had issues and it'll be the same thing with Haley and McDaniels. Bank on that. :icon_cool:

20. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

ok, well at least there's some logic to it now.