DE/DT Cameron Heyward (Ohio St.) Scouting Report

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by adammwilson, Feb 19, 2011.

1. DE/DT Cameron Heyward (Ohio St.)

[​IMG]

Round: 1st- 2nd

Positive: Shedding blocks

Negative: Speed off edge

Run: Above Average

Pass Rush: Average

Other Spots: 3-4 DE

Only avg. speed off the edge. nice job using hands. Strong player. Not a 4-3 DE.
    Great awareness. Gets off blocks very quickly. Packs a good punch. Doesn't have strength to play DT in 4-3. Stout at the point of attack. Must work on his balance. Needs to develop more pass rush moves. I only really like him in a 3-4 scheme.

2. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

He's a 3-4 guy all the way. Like a Ty Warren or Aaron Smith.

3. agreed. I just don't think he can play in a 4-3.

4. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

BB has never drafted a player from OSU; Heyward would be a great start. Dareus won't be available and there's no guarantee that Cam Jordan will either. If NE can get Heyward with one of their picks I'll be thrilled.

5. cover the spread

Do you think the questions about his work ethic are legit? I didn't watch many OSU games and I remember him being a top 10 pick before the season began and then showing up in the 2nd round in mocks as the season went on. Was he known to take plays off or is that just speculation/rumors?

6. it's very possible Heyward and Jordan will both be available. Either would be a great choice. BB will have his choice of great 3-4 DE's.

7. cover the spread

That's why I'm excited about this draft. BB loves defensive linemen and this is the best dline class since 2001.

8. not at all. I think the reason for his drop is inconsistent play. By no means do I think he is lazy, based on what I've read anyway. His father was a former NFL player and his step- father is a former NBA player so I would have to guess both of those Men put a great work ethic in him. I think alot of it is just message board talk haha.

This is what nfldraftscout.com says about him:

He has a great attitude, work ethic and immense talent. Well-liked by his teammates and coaches, he has fun playing the game. Hustles without wearing down much during the game. Returned for his senior season because he enjoyed college and wanted to win a national championship.

9. cover the spread

Yeah, that's what confused me. I read about inconsistent play and how he wouldn't show up on tape for stretches. I wasn't sure if that had to do with work ethic or if he was just game-planned for. I think in the right system with good coaching he could be a dominant player in the 3-4.

10. I think it's what you said that people just game planned against him.

11. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

not a laziness issue at all, he fell due to him not being a great pass rusher, something that no one really ever should have looked at him as or hoped he would be. drafting him as a 43 player would be a complete waste and probably ruin his career. he would play LDE on run downs and DT on passing downs, as a 34 DE he would thrive full time. one of my top 10 players on the steeler wish list. could go anywhere from 10ish-32, i think his floor is the packers though

12. yep K Train you're right on target.

Although, I don't think the Packers will grab a DE as they drafted Mike Neal last year.

13. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i use chris canty as a comparison for him, look at the way canty is being wasted in a 43 in NY. hes a tall player like that and is one of the few 34 players that cant be lumped into a group od 34DE/43DT. sometimes they are the same/similar players....in this case hes a purely 34 specific player imo.

14. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

Dude is a beast and was dominate in the sugar bowl. I never heard a bad word about him while he was here.