Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert's Pro Day Could Determine Panthers' Decision

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SRW, Mar 12, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Missouri's Blaine Gabbert, who chose not to throw at the Scouting Combine, has his pro day Thursday in Columbia, Mo., and there will be intense interest in his workout. Coming off shoulder surgery, Sam Bradford wasn’t a lock to go No. 1 overall last year until he put on a stellar show for scouts. Gabbert isn’t rated as highly as Bradford, but he has a similar opportunity. There is a growing feeling that the Panthers want to select a quarterback with the first pick, and if Gabbert can wow them Thursday, he could move solidly into the first pick discussion. Considering the baggage Newton carries, the Panthers probably would prefer to select Gabbert but he’ll need a Bradford-level pro day to make them lean that way over Newton or a defensive lineman.

Source: Sporting News

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

If I'm Carolina, I trade down to say 10th, pick up one of the QB's then and add an additional 2nd or 3rd rd pick. They are far from a one pick fix.

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah but in a draft without a real clear #1, let alone qb as #1, do you think they'll have many suitors? I'm always surprised by how qb's rocket up draft boards in the offseason, but this year seems worse in that regard than others. I never ever thought of Gabbert or Newton as being #1 pick material during the season when they were actually playing football, and I don't recall anyone else really talking like that either...now all of a sudden it's a real possibility?

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

This may rival Russel as a classic example of a QB getting over-drafted just for being a QB

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Dooooo iiiiit

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Who?

7. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

There is no QB deserving of the number 1 pick. It would be a huge mistake drafting a QB and setting the franchise back years. I'm not convinced a QB should be drafted in the 1st round this year, but teams obviously will.

8. there are definitely qb's worth getting in round 1. However, I don't think there is a qb with top 10 value.