Source Says Free Agent RB Tiki Barber Wants A Shot To Play With Steelers

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Peter King of Sports Illustrated guesses that Pittsburgh will be free agent running back Tiki Barber's landing spot this summer when he tries to return to football after four seasons away. The Steelers have a head coach the Barber family knows well -- Mike Tomlin is close to twin Ronde Barber after coaching him in Tampa from 2001 to 2005 and also knows Tiki. Tomlin wouldn't be afraid of the sideshow Tiki Barber might create, nor would he be shy about pulling the plug if the 36-year-old back couldn't beat out the likes of Mewelde Moore. One NFL source tells King that Barber really wants a shot to play in Pittsburgh. King is also told that wherever he goes, Barber won't be content to be a mopup guy or insurance policy; he wants to play a lot.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Depressing.

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

this is my nightmare.

sign bush, tell tiki to heck off and die

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

X2

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

2011 Starting RB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. TIKI BARBER!!!!

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's not remotely appealing...

7. K Train

who is he to have a list of teams he wants to play for? and he picks 2 of the biggest contenders for a ring....i thought he just needed the game, im pretty sure he should take whatever he can get (which shouldnt be anything)

id take herschel walker out of retirment before tiki

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

^Bingo.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd take Willie Parker back before Tiki. Screw that noise...

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Ahman Green deserves a shot before Tiki.

11. K Train

jerome bettis would be another one id take over tiki

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I really can't see this happening...

The Steelers have plenty of talent in the backfield. They could sign Moore if they want him back and are desperate for a veteran. Bush would be ideal. The Steelers ownership is extremely friendly with the Giants ownership. I cant imagine that the Giants are going to give Barber a ringing endorsement if asked by the Steelers.

13. K Train

the thing is i think 3rd down back is a need....but theres NO WAY tiki is better than moore, i think moore is expendable but tiki is way more useless to us.

If they wanted to sign bush, do it...theres been a lot of rumors and he would really dominate in our offense, it would be the best FA signing since hartings imo.

But even if moore is out, mendenhall, dwyer, redman, and batch are more than a servicable group of guys to play on 3rd down....tiki is just useless and i would lose a ton of respect for these decision makers of the steelers who are known to never do any wrong at all ever (lol)

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree 100%. I don't think 3rd down back is a hole, but the need to upgrade is there. Moore had hurt this team more than help in the past. Missing blocks, dropping passes, running wrong routes, coming up short on third and short. He just hasn't been good in that role. He'd actually be better as a back up to Mendenhall than he would a they'd down guy.

I'd love to see Bush get signed but doubt it happens. I think they'll go with what they have in Redman as the backup/3rd down guy, Batch and Dwyer battling it out for a roster spot/practice squad spot.

The one good thing about the lockout is that the Steelers are going to have to be proactive if they want a guy. There's not going to be a lot of time to wait until the dust settles like they have in the past. They're going to have to know the market value and go after the guys they want.

15. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

LOL! Screw you Tiki shouldn't have been a snitch.

16. DBR96A

DBR96A College-educated broke-ass bitch

I think Tiki Barber mentioned the Steelers and Patriots because they're both contenders, and he regrets retiring right before the Giants won the Super Bowl.

17. I'm willing to the bet that was the 'root' of his depression......

18. Maybe you guys should make a list of all running backs you would take over Barber....should be interesting stuff.....not to mention funny.

19. K Train

Reggie Bush
    Caddilac Williams
    Noel Devine
    Ricky Williams
    Ronnie Brown
    Brian Westbrook
    Ladanian Tomlinson
    Derrick Locke
    Herschel Walker
    Jerome Bettis