NFL Owners, Players Agree To Rookie Wage Scale

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

ESPN, citing people on both sides with knowledge of the negotiations, reported that the NFL owners and players came to an agreement in principle over the rookie wage scale. ESPN reported that details in the agreed-upon wage scale include a fifth-year option in the contracts of players selected in the top 10. The network also said the owners offered to pay those players the top 10 salaries at their positions in their fifth year and that the owners had been seeking a fixed amount for the fifth-year option, roughly $4 million per year. According to ESPN, the players wanted a top 10 salary for the top 16 picks and proposed a top 15 salary for picks 17-32. It was also reported that all first rounders would get four-year deals, plus the option year.

Source: USA Today

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Heard this was almost done earlier. Forget what thread I posted but it's supposed to start this year.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

You laughed at Newton for it too.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Freaking hilarious.

5. If I were Sam Bradford.....

I put all of my signing bonus money in a pool and swim in it.

6. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow...

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

awesome top picks actully have to preform to get paid

8. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

So if all rookies get a 4-year deal, is that the end of restricted free agency?

9. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

this is another step in the right direction

10. DBR96A

DBR96A College-educated broke-ass bitch

I think the most ardent supporters of a rookie wage scale were the Browns, Bengals, Raiders and Redskins. The Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Ravens and Packers probably didn't care one way or the other.

11. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

last year is essentially a transistion tag, i think thats a good way to do it

12. Jason La Canfora: Twitter.com

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Boo freaking hoo for Cam. He's still making bank.

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I think no, because of an option a year 5. Im guessing if the option isnt picked up, they will be restricted after year 4

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

The 5th year option is pretty much the transition tag without the tag. Picks 11-32 could get sort of screwed unless they work out a long term deal but for picks 1-10 it's good news and most teams would be willing to pay a productive player that money.

16. You mean three?

That fifth year option has to be picked up after their third season of service.

17. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i think they would be FAs after 4, unless the 5th year option was picked up in the offseason prior to year 3