Titans Coach Mike Munchak Says Kerry Collins Was Undervalued As QB, Teammate

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jul 15, 2011.

1. First-year Titans head coach Mike Munchak won't have the opportunity to continue working with quarterback Kerry Collins, who announced his retirement last week after a 16-year career that included five seasons in Tennessee, but that didn't stop Munchak from heaping praise on Collins, whom he described as one of the more undervalued players in the NFL. "(Collins) was great to have around, not just for young quarterbacks, but for all of us on the offensive side," Munchak told The Tennessean on Wednesday. "People never realized the value of someone like him on your roster." As the Titans' offensive line coach for 14 seasons before being promoted to head coach, Munchak closely worked with Collins, who was a valuable asset for the coaching staff. "We ended up having a great working relationship when he came here," Munchak said. "Line coaches work hand in hand with quarterbacks. I learned a lot from him from the standpoint of what quarterbacks look at, and that helped me with protections and things we worked on through the week." Collins was selected out of Penn State by the Carolina Panthers in the first round of the 1995 draft and took them to the NFC Championship Game in his second season. Collins later helped lead the New York Giants to the Super Bowl in 2000, but they lost to the Baltimore Ravens. He went on to spend two seasons with the Oakland Raiders before finishing his career with the Titans. "He may have done it quietly for some people, but for me ... he's someone I've always watched from the time he played in college to the time he got in the league," Munchak said. "What he did at Carolina with an expansion team, and then with the Raiders -- we played against them there, and I saw the numbers he was putting up against this team then. Then I saw it obviously firsthand with us."

Source: NFL.com news: Munchak believes Collins was undervalued as QB, teammate

2. DBR96A

DBR96A College-educated broke-ass bitch

Kerry Collins is one of only two QBs active through last season to post a career passer rating higher than 90.0 against the Steelers (90.9). The other is Tom Brady (104.1).

3. TexanDynasty

TexanDynasty Rookie

Munchak was just saying a sweet goodbye b/c he had a hand in his retiring. If he liked Collins that much he would still be on the Titans.