Eagles To Stick With Rookie Casey Matthews At Middle Linebacker

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by SRW, Aug 20, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Head coach Andy Reid told CSNPhilly.com Saturday rookie Casey Matthews will take all the reps with the first defense at middle linebacker in the coming week and will start against the Browns Thursday night. Reid said he has no plans to remove Matthews from the starting lineup and is not considering moving Jamar Chaney from strong-side linebacker back to the middle, where he played at a high level at the end of last year. The Eagles believe Chaney’s speed, size and athleticism are best-suited to strong-side backer. Matthews came under a lot of criticism for his role in the Steelers’ two long touchdown drives in the first half of the Eagles’ 24-14 preseason loss at Heinz Field Thursday. But Reid said Saturday, after the Eagles’ first practice since that game, that Matthews actually played well in the second quarter and is improving every day.

Source: Comcast Sports

2. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Well, it's going to be a LONG season over the middle. Just because he's related to Clay doesn't mean he can play as well as he can. Well, at least until he discovers steroids as well.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

He needs to just swallow his pride, and find out where the good crap is from Clay.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Dream Team! :buttrock:

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

From the Eagles Message Board:

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

God I wish Vince Young would break his leg.

7. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

This is a bit off topic but that linebacker for the Falcons, Bear Woods has been impressive from what I saw so far. Oh yeah, but as far as the OP goes I haven't seen too much of the Eagles this preseason to comment on this decision.

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

After analyzing every damn play he was in last game, it wasn't like he just freaking sucked. I mean, he wasn't Nate Allen who put up one of the craptiest single performances of any DB I've seen lately (and that's saying a lot considering we had Dmitiri Patterson starting last year).

However, he made no impact plays. He reacted slow to the majority of plays. He was great at occupying a blocker, just not at fighting through them. If they want him to just call plays and be blocker occupier, he'll meet expectations.

What we saw Thursday night was not the defensive calls we will see in regular season. I believe they blitzed two, maybe three times all half. My assumption was the defensive staff wanted to analyze each player's performance on a normal four man rush, 2 safety deep, corners and LBs pick your man and handle him.

But this is just a stubborn decision from a stubborn coaching staff. Don't like it at all (at the moment).

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Eagles blitzed 8 times. 5 Times in the first half, 3 times in the second.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I wish we could reanimate Jim Johnson. These DC's freaking suck. We revolutionized blitzing in the NFL, how come we suddenly don't do it anymore! UGH!

As for the unsuccessful Matthews, because his brother's done roids and had a good year doesn't mean it computes. And as for Nate Allen, he looked MONEY last year. He is still young and I know he'll do a lot better as the preseas/season progresses.

And word is Lofa is visiting this week. I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't a bird by the end of the week.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

PRESEASON

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

So Matthews intentionally sucked donkey rod because it was pre-season?

13. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

[​IMG]

Just give him some of this problem solved

14. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Exactly. Now worries...

The Dream Team's LB's “will be ready to win the Super Bowlâ€￾.

Sunday practice notebook

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

:banghead:

16. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

there was one play where pouncey just ruined his life.

he was pretty bad though, midget matthews has potential but him as a day one starter is madness.

did bradley fall out of favor because of the injuries? i always thought he was a hell of a player im surprised they let him leave

17. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Matthews Holds His Weight

If true, this makes me feel even worse about him. So he's saying he's 245 and trained all offseason with his brother and he is still getting outmatched?

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Gotta assume it was uncertainty with all of the injuries and concussions, yeah.

I'm hoping the FO is kicking their own butt right now. Clearly appears to be a bad move already. And what if one of these 'starters' goes down? Then what?

19. Matthews can play he just lacks athleticism. He has everything you look for in a starting MLB except for that.