Buccaneers Replacing Players Playbooks With IPads

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by Sweets, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Just one day after a trash truck mishap resulted in parts of the Packers playbook being scattered about the streets of Green Bay, we find out that the Buccaneers have handed out iPads to their players instead of traditional playbooks. Head coach Raheem Morris has decided to try the new approach with his players, one that they will probably enjoy more than having to thumb through a traditional binder. “We give these playbooks out, and by the end of training camp, we collect them so nobody sells them on the Internet,†Morris told the St. Petersburg Times via Shutdown Corner. “They become game books. If you need a reference to go back, you can pull up a blitz from camp and look at it. “Then it got to the point where we said, ‘Hey, let’s put some of the video on there … from the season. How about practice? How would (Josh) Freeman like to go home and watch practice again? How would ‘Free’ like to sit there and watch third down from Detroit and Miami so when he comes to work the next morning, he’s seeing the tape again and putting it all together?’â€

Source: Larry Brown Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  2. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

There was talk about teams making this switch months ago. It was only a matter of time before it happened. I know one of the concerns is security. Teams worrying about hackers. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

3. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

While i do think that technology should be utilized to make life easier there is just something weird about having your playbook in an Ipad. Mostly because what are the chances that Angry birds, bejeweled and plant v. zombies are right next to the playbook and how much of a distraction that can provide.

Unless the sole program available on the Ipad is the playbook.

4. nwade06

nwade06 Lions in the Super Bowl!

I think the Ipads will only have the playbook on them...but again these are grown men not boys in high school.

5. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Angry birds are addictive to grown men not in high school, too. Just saying.

Its a cool concept, maybe other teams will see how it works before they follow.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Arent the Ravens doing this as well?

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Heard this the other day. It was vague but Rah said if there's an issue like it gets left in a hotel room in Foxboro there is a way to wipe all the info off of it from Tampa? IDK how and I know he doesn't know how but the security is built in.

8. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

I think this is a very helpful tool that will be able to utilize a ton of references at the touch of a finger. THinking beyond the playbook, the excerpt mentioned practice and game video. All pro teams use laptops now for film work. Why not just take the next step to combine two items into one? The studious players will make great use of these.

9. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

The future is here.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's awesome...I'd love to see one in action.

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

My assuming the Ipads a deleted of all programs including internet access (again I'm no puter expert) they just dl the info at One Buc and return to update each weeks game film.

12. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I believe newer Ipads have the ability to be locked with a program that once it's reported lost until it's returned.

13. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Yeah that's what the new paper I read here today article says.

14. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

My buddy has it for his, not only will it lock, but he can locate it via satellite. Crap is cool as hell.

15. Crap is pretty ill...

16. warwagon86

warwagon86 Irish Football Fans

yea you can do this with any of the new iphones, ipads or laptops from apple!

17. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I've got. That on my android... If I lose it I can lock the phone find it via satellite it wipe it

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

18. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Blackberry has something similar.

19. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Each player will most likely have their own personal lock code. I know it's not super hard to break that but honestly it's secure enough. I know that it's been said that apple has a way to lock it and wipe it and stuff but this makes TOTAL sense. All I can think of is how hard it was for Ryan Moats to learn the playbook in Philly. Imagine seeing the write up of what the play would be and then being able to watch video of it in action. Some teams have hundreds of plays. If I played in the NFL i'd be hecked because I have the memory of a gold fish for when I'm just reading lines and ish. This is a smart idea and it was only a matter of time. Plus these things have SO much memory you can probably load every single game on here and players can watc as the season goes on and be able to understand the offense, defense, etc.