Acquiring Peyton Manning Is ‘The Priority’ For Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A source told Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald today that acquiring the longtime Colts QB is “the priorityâ€￾ for the Dolphins, who rumor has it have also expressed interest in Packers backup Matt Flynn. The Dolphins limped their way to 6-10 this past season with Matt Moore, Chad Henne and J.P. Losman sharing time under center. They’re beginning a new era next season with new coach Joe Philbin at the helm, and they’re in the market for a new quarterback as well. Manning’s situation in Indianapolis is currently very much in doubt. The 14-year veteran missed all of this season recovering from neck surgery, and it’s unclear whether the Colts will stick with the soon-to-be-36 Peyton Manning or hand over the reins to Andrew Luck, the likely No. 1 pick this spring.

Source: Sports Illustrated

2. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

how much do you give up for a 36 year old qb recovering from major neck surgery? even for a few years of greatness is it worth the risk. i don't think so

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

It is when the team is close to competing, and where in the holy hell have you been dude?

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Even if Peyton does play this year, he won't be the Peyton we all know. For one, he's coming off an entire year away from football. Not even Peyton could just jump back in to his regular form. Plus, it's not going to be the same offense. He was in his offense in Indy basically since he came into the league, right? Now he'll have a completely different offense to learn. He won't have the complete mastery of it like he did in Indy.

That being said, he would still be infinitely better than what the Dolphins had last year. He could learn the offense in the offseason, obviously. I just don't see how he could be calling audibles and doing all the stuff he did in Indy. Would the Dolphins tailor their whole offense to be like he had over there?

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

He would have the freedom Rodgers had and more I think.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree with mj on this one. if i were a g.m. and felt i was literally a QB away from competing for a SB, it would be WELL worth a couple of first round draft picks to get there.

In fact, I would have NO problem at all giving the Colts even MORE first round picks if Peyton came in and won me a Super Bowl.

First round picks are so overrated in this league. Half of them end up busting and not being in the league after a few years and then another big chunk of them just end up being back-ups or mediocre starters for most of their career, especially if you figure the first round picks you're going to be giving up are probably in the bottom of the first round and not top 5 or top 10 picks.

If I can get a KNOWN quantity that may be the difference in winning a super bowl, you're damn right I'm going to make that deal every day of the week.

7. CaptainStubing

a kansas city sports radio station interviewed someone from Indianapolis this morning (i think his name was jeff querry from WNEB) and he feels that Peyton's health status will still be unknown in early March and the Colts will have no choice but to release him.

He did not believe Peyton's health would allow anyone to sign him after his release either. He doesn't believe Peyton will play anywhere in 2012.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

That is what I was saying. March 8th is going to come up pretty quick and there probably won't be a good assessment on Peyton as a football player by that time....

9. CaptainStubing

i heard a different guy from espn.com on the radio this afternoon also and he was basically saying the same thing .............. that it's unlikely that peyton will be cleared medically by march 8th so NO ONE will sign him after he's released and it was unlikely that he would even be cleared to play before the season started.

yes, we are in agreement if peyton is not cleared to play medically on march 8th and it's not a slam dunk that he will even be ready for training camp, i wouldn't blame the colts for releasing him at that point and i wouldn't blame teams for not signing him.

10. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

manning at 75% and the reggie bush we saw this year would cause some problems in the AFC

11. CaptainStubing

well, if he can even pass a physical is the question at this point .............. from everything i've been hearing this week, the prevailing theory is that he can't pass a physical by march 8th and may not even be able to pass a physical before the season .............

no team is going to sign him to a free agent contract if he's not able to play football this year.