Players Say Bills Had Bounty System Under Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by SRW, Mar 3, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

During his time as Buffalo Bills head coach, Gregg Williams promoted cash bonuses for delivering hits that seriously injured opponents, former safety Coy Wire told The Buffalo News. "There was financial compensation," Wire said. "There were rewards. There never was a point where cash was handed out in front of the team. But surely, you were going to be rewarded. When somebody made a big hit that hurt an opponent, it was commended and encouraged." Three other defensive players from that era, speaking to The News on condition of anonymity, confirmed that a bounty system existed during Williams' time with the Bills. Two of those players said cash bonuses were paid for "knockout shots" that sent opponents out of games. The two former Bills who specifically mentioned "knockout shots" declined to comment further. "It was talked about," that player said. "I think it happens a lot of places, and it's been going on for a really long time."

Source: Buffalo News

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Better and better. Now can we get rid of him?

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

The whole gets deeper and deeper...

Wonder when the name of players and the results of hits is going to come out.

4. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

So who should receive the bigger punishment....the saints or g. Williams
    ?

5. Steve12

Williams by far.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Williams!

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

If Williams is anything less than suspended for at least one year, it will be a total load of horsecrap. Especially with how much player safety is focused on now.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

It'll just be more inconsistencies in the NFL...nothing shocking...

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

once again, i don't understand everyone thinking this is an isolated incident with one d-coordinator ................ this could have just as easily been any one of your teams. Even the players are telling you that it happens on MANY teams and that it is very common.

I can think of several teams right off the top of my head whose players go for 'knockout' shots every time instead of just trying to make a tackle or strip the ball in a normal fashion. Even if a side bet can't be proven with these other defenses, it's obvious it is being taught, encouraged, and congratulated.

I suppose you all just don't want to believe that 'your' team is capable of something like this ............. it's probably a normal human reaction. But they are......... It's just part of the game and Williams is not an oddity, he's the norm.

10. Steve12

Once again I don't understand why people are saying that we think out its isolated. No one is saying that. But Williams got caught doing it so he should be punished. What is so hard to understand about that? a broken rule its a broken rule. It doesn't matter if everyone is breaking it. The poison who gets caught breaking it still needs to be punished.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

ok, so if the NFL starts investigating other teams and finds out Belichick had the exact same system in place for the Patriots, you would applaud the league banning him for life?

12. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

This could never happen to Dallas under wade Phillips he prob aly paid player ls to arm tackle and look soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Steve12

If it were the exact same circumstances as with Williams then yes. If BB did it with multiple teams over a long period of time he needs to be gone too. I'm not going to play favorites with guys that have no respect for their game or the people in it.

A lifetime ban for Williams might have been a little extreme. But even like a year long suspension or something to set the precedent that this crap is not ok.

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

They are gonna take picks from the Saints. when they do I feel they should do the same for every team of Williams that was found to have the same system. If they take the Saints first, they should take the Redskins and Bills as well

15. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

Damn, they have Vilma putting 10k into the "fund". IMO, Williams gets a year ban, Sean Payton and GM get a 4 gamer. Players involved, 4 games as well. Also Saints probably lose their highest draft pick this year...at least

16. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

We'll find out the latter part of March.

17. Steve12

[MENTION=1808]Chubz[/MENTION] the patriots own the saints highest pick this year at #27. So it would probably be next years pick they take.

18. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

the saints would lose their top pick they actually have this year and possibly next year. That's the word goign around. But speculation is speculation.

19. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I'm confused, I don't agree with bounties on certain players at all, but whatever happened to hitting a player as hard as you could, I'm not saying go out there trying to end someones career or whatever, but damn this game is becoming a freaking cat game.

20. Steve12

I've heard that too. If they don't take at least next years first rounder that would be BS.