Patriots Willing To Discuss A Trade For QB's Ryan Mallett Or Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by SRW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, confirmed that they’re willing to listen to offers for backup quarterbacks Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. “If those calls come then we’ll listen,†said Caserio, per Ian Rapoport. Hoyer held off Mallett last year to remain the teams’ No. 2 quarterback, but he’s set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season, so there’s a chance that they could look to move him now if there’s a reasonable amount of interest in him. The Patriots are seem to always be listening to offers, but there’s no guarantee that a deal for one of the two quarterbacks will get done during the draft. Mallett is under contract for a reasonable amount of money, and Hoyer’s looming departure makes it seem like the Patriots may want to hold on to him as a decent backup option, should something happen to Tom Brady.

Source: NFL Trade Rumors

2. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

Mallet has potential to be a starter.

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

So does Hoyer. Depending on how long Brady is going play I might want to keep Hoyer over Mallett. But I think Bradys got at least 4 more years. By that time Hoyer will be kinda old to be a really long time starter.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

why trade for someone when they are to become a free agent at the end of the year. It isn't like he is a for sure starter material.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Well you'd be able to get a look at him without giving out a new, presumably larger, contract..

6. buffalobillsfan1

good point. I can't see any teams trading for these guys unless they can get them for almost nothing. When they hit FA there will be alot of interest.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

hoyer is not a starting QB lol. god the patriots and manipulative bastards. They made everyone believe cassel was a starting QB too

8. buffalobillsfan1

I agree. Mallet on the other hand could be. It hard to say because we have not seen much of him.

9. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

I would be surprised if Mallet goes anywhere. Hoyer may be inline to get bumped to 3rd string by Mallet. And the Pats are looking to fleece a pick from someone.

10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

If we can get a decent pick for Hoyer I'd have no problem with keeping Mallett. Especially since he gets to suit behind Brady for a while.

11. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

If you trade for them then your guaranteed to get them, just because a players unrestricted doesnt mean your team can land them in the offseason. That being said Hoyer isn't worth very much in a trade.

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

When has that ever stopped anyone?

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

ok, so i think the general consensus around the league is that mallett 'could' be a legit starter. here's where i get confused by this rumor, though. the patriots used a 3rd rd pick in last year's draft for mallett, right? the whole point of taking him was to have him sit on the bench and learn the game until brady retired (ala aaron rodgers), right?

if this rumor is true, why would the pats be looking to dump him? no one is going to give more than a 3rd rd pick for mallett (otherwise, they would have drafted the guy themselves 12 months ago). So, that means the pats, at best, are going to get an even swap 3rd rd pick for the guy and the ONLY reason they would do that is if they have already determined that mallett is NOT capable of being the future starter.

this rumor is either bullcrap or mallett is not all that he was cracked up to be.

14. buffalobillsfan1

For a late round pick Mallet is worth a shot.