Chargers To Fire Norv Turner, A.J. Smith After Season

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by SRW, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, team president Dean Spanos has decided to fire head coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith at the end of the season.

The 4-8 Chargers are approaching their first losing season since 2003 and Acee writes that Spanos decided at least a month ago that Turner would be gone, and recently also decided that Smith’s time in San Diego was up.

Spanos prefers to wait until after the season to make such moves. Per the report, director of player personnel Jimmy Raye is the apparent replacement for Smith.

Later Thursday evening, Spanos released the following statement:

“There is only one person in this organization who will make those decisions and that’s me, and I haven’t shared my thoughts with anyone. I will make my evaluations at the end of the season. Anything coming out now – from sources or otherwise – is pure speculation.â€￾

Source: Pro Football Weekly

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Why wait?

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

They've waited at least 2 years too long, why rush it now?

4. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

6 weeks ago called it wants its headline back

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Touche.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, this is a couple of years overdue. even I was smart enough to begin calling for both of their heads a couple of years ago ..... don't know why it took so long

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

the situation with vincent jackson and the gm was enough for me to realize this organization doesnt know how to win and isnt committed to winning

8. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

Dean Spanos is a snitch, thats why this took so long

9. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/0ap2000000107409/Turner-gone-from-San-Diego]Norv Turner gone from San Diego? - NFL Videos[/ame]

10. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

I agree completely. I still remember the thread concerning that exact situation. Smith was a freaking idiot GM.

11. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

And he he hates to admit that when Schottenheimer and Smith had their run in he fired the wrong person.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree...Smith should have been gone loooooong ago! Just look at the list of players he's let leave San Diego...it's endless...

13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

norv is a great OC when that is all he has to do,but he's an awful HC! Norv may end up back in dallas as jason garret's oc if he survives the season,and there is no reason he should'nt!