NFL Considering Expanding Playoffs To 14 Or 16 Teams

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Wednesday about possibly expanding the playoffs, Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com reports.

"Right now we're with 12 teams obviously. We'll look at probably 14 or 16 teams," Goodell said.

Goodell made it clear that the competition committee has considered such expansion in the past, and it clearly hasn't happened. The benefits of more playoff games are obvious: more teams involved in the race late in the season, and theoretically more television money.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

When are they going to get rid of this clown?

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000110471/Should-the-NFL-extend-playoffs]Should the NFL extend playoffs? - NFL Videos[/ame]

4. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIRAti50xY&feature=g-subs-u]NFL Considering Expanding Playoffs - YouTube[/ame]

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I'd rather expand the playoffs and get rid of the preseason...get rid of the mediocre teams like 8-8 or 7-9 teams getting into the playoffs though...

6. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

heck that its what i dont like about the nba to many playoff teams. I like that its a fight to make it in the playoffs

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

expand only if winning teams get in

why reward a team that had an ok season

post season is for the best of the league

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I agree Coda...

9. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

That is goobered, keep it what it is. If they change anything about playoffs it should be that records directly correlate to your seeding, division has no bearing.

10. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

I like it exactly how it is. Half the teams get in? Really?

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

horrible idea

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

basicly what the nba playoff system is

the reason this wouldent be fair in the nfl is the nba has best of 7 so the 8 seed almost never wins. Nfl is win or go home to have a off game and lose to a team that shouldent be there would be hecked up.

13. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Like I said before...Goofdell is looking for Ny opportunity he can to expand the season to Presidents Weekend...

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

what is this pee wee where everyone gets a trophy?

16. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

How about everyone gets to go to the playoffs and everyone gets a Lombardi trophy so no one feels left out. Jesus Christ.....this league is going to crap in the worst way, get rid of this commissioner before he ruins my favorite sport!!!!

17. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

More .500 teams in the playoffs. Freaking yay.

18. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

No, he thinks it'll mean more $$$$.

Fans be damned.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Exactly...it'll add a couple more weeks of revenue. If he can't do it via an 18 game regular season, add a couple more playoff teams to extend it.

20. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Yup. That's exactly what it is. He can't get an 18-game season, so they'll knock 2 off the pre-season and open up this scenario.

While I wouldn't mind 14 teams (pushing it), 16 is just over the edge and at that point you dilute the purpose of a regular season.