Bill Callahan Calls Tim Brown's Super Bowl Accusation 'Ludicrous, Defamatory'

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by SRW, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

One-time Raiders coach Bill Callahan has unequivocally denied accusations from former player Tim Brown -- and supported by another former player, Jerry Rice -- that Callahan sabotaged the team's Super Bowl XXXVII chances by changing the game plan late in the preparation process.

“There are many people who are disappointed by the outcome of Super Bowl XXXVII, but none more than me," Callahan said in a statement. "While I fully understand a competitive professional football player's disappointment when a game's outcome doesn't go his team's way, I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown's allegations and Jerry Rice's support of those allegations made through various media outlets over the last twenty four hours.

"To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegations. Like every game I ever coached on the professional or collegiate level, I endeavor to the best of my professional ability to position my team to win," Callahan continued. "To suggest otherwise, especially at this time when it involves the Super Bowl, is ludicrous and defamatory. I have always honored the spirit of competition that drives us to sport as children and, for the lucky few, sustains us in adulthood.

"Any suggestion that I would undermine the integrity of the sport that I love and dedicated my life to, or dishonor the commitment I made to our players, coaches and fans, is flat out wrong. I think it would be in the best interests of all including the game America loves that these allegations be retracted immediately. I want to extend my personal and my family's deep appreciation to the coaches, players and fans who have come forward and thoughtfully spoken out against these ill-conceived allegations.â€￾

Source: CBS Sports

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, this is a canned response ....... almost looks like it was written by lawyer. however, it is right. the allegations are very serious and callahan could be banned from the league for life if they are found to be true so unless brown and rice have some evidence, they should probably stfu.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

They may need less than proof to satisfy The Goodell Raiders i.e. BMDs (Bounties of Mass Destruction)

& with nothing to keep them busy with the Saints fiasco dying down... :shrug:

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Eh, I don't see this as prove-able, either true or false. Unless he admits it, it'll be much ado about nothing IMO

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Don't think they changed the offense enough and when they played the bucs,gruden just figured out their formations and game plan. I Don't like the guy,but he is a pretty sharp guy that designed the offense there before he and al davis had a falling out.
    I Also think that callahan being a crapty head coach had something to do with it.

6. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Gruden just knew the system way too well, I remember watching this game it was ridiculous, the Bucs crap all over the raiders I really think it was just a familiarity of the team to Gruden, if he did change the game plan I think that he didn't change it up enough. But these guys are pretty much accusing him of throwing the game, and not just any game the Super Bowl.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Callahan didn't really change the terminology of the offense either...so when Gannon called an audible, the Bucs knew exactly where they were going with it.

8. dpn

dpn 18to44

I don't see a believable motive for doing this. He throws a Super Bowl. Why would he do that? Revenge? Hatred? It would hurt him as much, if not more, than the people he was angry with. Every player and every coach wants that ring. It affects their legacy.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

This.

The whole thought is preposterous. Call Callahan an idiot or dumbheck. That's fine. But don't try bringing this old crap up.

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Even old butt retired wide receivers are attention tramps.