Co-Owner Of SWATS Mitch Ross Says NFL Is Uneducated, IGF-1 Isn't Illegal

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Just hours after a Sports Illustrated story surfaced that alleged that Lewis used a banned substance to accelerate his return from a torn triceps injury earlier this season, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis emphatically denied using performance-enhancing drugs in an hour-long session with reporters at Super Bowl XLVII media day at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Aaron Wilson and Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun report.

Mitch Ross, a co-owner of Sports with Alternatives to Steroids (SWATS told Sports Illustrated that upon Lewis’ request, he provided the 37-year-old linebacker with products aimed at speeding up his recover from the torn triceps, an injury that occurred Oct. 14. Lewis came back in time for the Jan.6 playoff opener against the Indianapolis Colts and his return is being cited as one of the factors behind the Ravens’ Super Bowl run.

One of the products Lewis was allegedly using was a deer antler velvet spray, which the magazine reported including the substance IGF-1, which is banned by the league, Lewis denied using the spray, Ross, meanwhile, maintained in a phone interview with The Sun that he provided a recovery protocol for Lewis following his injury in October that required surgery.

“I was introduced to Ray Lewis by [former Ravens quarterbacks coach] Hue Jackson, and I began working with him that year after I was originally supposed to work with [former Ravens quarterback] Steve McNair,†Ross said. “As soon as I saw him hurt his arm against the Dallas Cowboys, I texted Ray. He texted me back after the game and said, ‘Possible torn triceps.’ Once that was confirmed by the doctors, I asked Ray if he wanted me to set up a program for him and he said, ‘Yes.’ I got him set up and now he’s back on the field.

“It's a shame that Ray is denying taking it. The NFL is uneducated. This is not a steroid. It’s not illegal. Ray is not a cheater. He did it the right way. Ray is a good man. He did the work. He rehabbed his arm and did the workouts. This isn’t a shortcut. It’s just natural science.â€

Ross emphasized that the deer antler velvet spray that contains IGF-1 is akin to human growth hormone, but is naturally produced in food products.

“Ray worked his butt off to get back out there,†Ross said. “I helped Ray get back on the field, but he worked so hard to do that. I made an armband for him to use after a week to strengthen the triceps after he got the stitches out. He shouldn't have to deny anything. It makes no sense to me.â€

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

So, Ray lied??? who would have thunk it!!!!

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

:laughy18:

If the NFL says it's banned, it's banned...but you know that. If Lewis took it, he cheated...but you know that. You gave the interview in hopes to show how your products are successful while throwing Lewis under the bus...but you know that.

You're just a delightful, trustworthy kinda guy, aren't you?

4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Lewis will still play in the Super Bowl though. Does Goodell have the guts to suspend God's warrior?

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

hmm, 1 not trust worthy+1 liar=2 losers

What's really ridiculous about this is that this happened years ago, the NFL isn't going to do anything and neither is anyone else...close the door and move on already...

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, he's really throwing ray under the bus. ray knows it's illegal so he's denying any usage of it. the swats guy should have just kept his mouth shut.

does anyone really care when they hear about a player taking stuff anymore?

does anyone really think the league is clean? just look at these guys. look at how quickly a.p. recovered. i'm very certain a large % of the players are taking different things so i don't really care when i hear about something like this.

7. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I really want to believe that AP recovered fast because of his willpower to rehab every single day to the max. Now I'm not so sure..

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Now hes freaking Bama over too, class act.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Lol he also sells holographic "chips" you stick to your body and "healing bands". Plus theres no evidence that the velvet antler is effective orally (as in a spray). Dudes a straight up snake oil salesman.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

How long til Mitch Ross gets stabbed outside an Atlanta night club and no one sees anything?

11. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Who gives a heck if IGF-1 is a banned substance, Ray Lewis' intake of it is on about the same level as how much THC the players would receive if someone in the crowd lights up a doobie during the Super Bowl.

Doping with Deer Antlers | The Sport Digest
    Lewis may have been trying to cheat, but it doesn't appear he was successful.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

IGF-1 has strong repair and aesthetic qualities but as posted by [MENTION=2070]marty264[/MENTION], he would be taking such a small dosage, regardless of the fact that it needs to be directly injected into the injured skeletal muscle for said effects to take place anyway. A proper dosage of IGF-1 combined with EPO probably would have been Ray Ray best bet.

The real story isn't that he took a banned substance, rather than he attempted to gain an immoral, unethical advantage over his competition and was too uneducated to do it properly.