Vikings Aim To Land 2018 Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by Sweets, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

After meeting with NFL officials at the Super Bowl in New Orleans, Vikings executives came home firmly intent on landing the 2018 Super Bowl for their new stadium, which is to open in 2016 in downtown Minneapolis, Charlie Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press reports.

The only time Minnesota has hosted a Super Bowl was in 1992 at the Metrodome, where Washington defeated Buffalo 37-24.

"We started to do some homework on our bid," Vikings Vice President Lester Bagley said Tuesday, Feb. 6.

The Vikings already have applied to the 2018, 2019 or 2020 Super Bowl, they are pushing hard for 2018, in New Orleans, they were briefed on the second round of the application and formal presentation processes.

Competition for the 2018 extravaganza is expected to come from New Orleans because that year will be the city's 300th anniversary, but, Bagley said, the NFL looks favorably on communities that have resolved stadium issues, such as Minnesota.

While in New Orleans, Bagley spoke with senior NFL officials, including Commissioner Roger Goodell's executive VP for business operations, Eric Grubman, about hosting a Super Bowl in Minneapolis.

"No one could guarantee it, but they were very encouraging about Minneapolis getting a Super Bowl," he said. "We feel good about it, and we feel good about the feedback from the league. We've got to put together a strong bid and a strong host committee."

Source: The Redzone

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

their new stadium is to be an indoor stadium, right?

3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

If it ain't,there will be some really blue balls at that game all around!:icon_cheesygrin:

4. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I would certainly hope so.

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I'd like to see the league switch the super bowl to colder climate stadiums like canada does,but since there is so much money involved,i doubt they ever will.

6. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Stubbing, it will be either indoor or retractable roof. The state wouldn't give them any funding for an outdoor stadium.

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

And, as we all know, $$$$ drives everything these days.

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Yes indeed,money makes the world go round! before the superbowl, they played the championship no matter how cold,rainy,hot or messy the field looked! that is the way football should be played! since they have been putting on these halftime shows,the only one i can remember was worth a crap was u2 in 2011,and tom petty was not bad either! that show sunday night was a trainwreck!