Chargers Still Confident In RB Ryan Mathews

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by SRW, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Chargers RB Ryan Mathews failed to stay injury-free in 2012 after lofty expectations were set by then-head coach Norv Turner. He broke both clavicles and played in 12 games, but the Chargers’ new brass still has confidence in the 2010 first-round pick.

“He is really talented, a really good back,†GM Tom Telesco said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “He has size and has run well. I think he can be a bellcow back, but he needs to prove that on the field by staying healthy, and I think that he’ll have a chance to do that. All the talent is there.â€

Head coach Mike McCoy echoed the sentiment that if Mathews can avoid injuries, he can be the back that Norv Turner was hoping for prior to the 2012 season.

“He’s had some bad luck the past couple years with his injuries, but he’s a very talented back,†McCoy said. “We have to do a better job up front as an entire football team helping him out, getting him involved in the passing game, he can do a lot of different things.â€

Combine the fact that the Chargers are thin as is at running back with Mathews’ injury history, and finding another back is key.

“These guys take a lot of punishment during the year. To have two backs — you’d like three — but you’d like two backs you can lean on so Ryan doesn’t have to take the bulk week in and week out,†Telesco said. “It doesn’t bother me what kind of style that is. We would like a complement with him, but we think Ryan can do it as the one back.â€

Source: Pro Football Weekly

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i think he is an 'ok' back when he's healthy but he's going to probably need to turn in a 16-game, healthy season to reassure everyone.

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Unless you have AP, two backs are needed these days

4. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

Matthews sucks, if they cut him, i would be HAPPY with that..... he lays the ball down all the time... everytime he has it, im chanting in my head, dont drop the ball, dont drop the ball... he needs to go

5. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

SD needs Reggie Bush needs SD.....see, it's simple

6. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

i would accept reggie in the BIG SD

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

This guy is decent when healthy, but he's never healthy. They should cut their losses.