Red Sox's 820 Game Sell Out Streak Ends

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The Boston Red Sox customarily announce that game's attendance in the press box, usually in the seventh inning or beyond. For 820 consecutive games, the announced attendance was followed by the words "sellout."

Wednesday night, anticipating the inevitable, the Red Sox issued a news release announcing their record streak of sellouts -- 820 (794 regular-season games and an additional 26 in the postseason) -- was ending.

And sure enough, the official attendance for the 8-5 loss to the Baltimore Orioles was 30,862. The capacity for night games at Fenway Park is 37,493.

Both the regular-season and overall streaks were the longest in major professional sports.

The previous record in Major League Baseball was 455 by the Cleveland Indians from 1995-2001, when they won six consecutive division titles and two American League pennants. The Red Sox surpassed that total on Sept. 8, 2008.

Source: ESPN

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

MLB has priced out the average income family. Period.

3. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I agree with you [MENTION=1760]themush[/MENTION]. the prices are just too damn high

4. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I'm a diehard Sox fan, but the streak wasn't real anyways. There were a lot of games last year that were only sold out because of ticket brokers.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eh, this is primarily due to the fact that the red sox finally had a bad year last season. before last season, i think they had turned in 15 straight winning seasons. it's pretty easy to sell out stadiums and arenas in any sport when you constantly win. the true test of fan support is how long they stick with you when you are struggling.