Former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu Says He Failed More Than 10 Drug Tests

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

So much about putting a value on Tyrann Mathieu's NFL draft stock involves getting a grip on his past, two weeks before the NFL draft, the rehabbing former Louisiana State cornerback is in the midst of a 10-stop, cross-country tour with a few more face-to-face chances to sell the notion that he can be trusted after marijuana derailed his college career, Jarrett Bell of USA Today reports.

On each visit, Mathieu is wearing a suit and tie, hoping to send a not-so-subtle message that he's all business.

"This is his job interview," agent Patrick Lawlor said. "It's just a matter of presenting himself as a professional."

Mathieu, 20, once known for his nickname, Honey Badger, repeatedly has declared he's been clean since October, when he was arrested on possession of marijuana charges after being booted off the team.

During one visit, Mathieu was asked how many drug tests he failed before he was suspended in college.

According to an assistant coach for the team, Mathieu responded: "I quit counting at 10. I really don't know."

The coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to comment about the evaluation, doesn't dump all of the blame on Mathieu. He points a finger at LSU.

"If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help," the coach said.

Source: The Redzone

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

as i've said, a team might be able to get a couple of good years out of this guy right out of college but then it's going to go downhill very quickly. He may stay out of trouble while he tries to build an nfl career but if he has success, he will immediately revert back.

i might draft him, get 2 good years out of him as his stock rises and he hopefully stays out of trouble. and then i would trade him to get my pick back.

3. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Wow Mathieu is a complete idiot.

4. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

What if he gets selected by Denver or Seattle??? :icon_twisted:

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

It would still be against NFL Drug abuse policy even if it is legal in those states.

6. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

If he really wanted to quit he would marajuana isnt like other drugs that you get physically addicted its all mental. Ive been clean for almost a month and its not that hard it you really want it.

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I would not waste a pick on him. Too much of a chance he will not be available consistently. But someone will take a chance on him. They always do.

8. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

What a freaking goober, you're freaking up your future for herb? You're a god **mn moron.

9. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

I can understand where you are coming from to an extent, but we don't quite have an understanding of this guys background or mental state that causes him to be reliant on the stuff (that seems clear). The fact that it took test failures in the double figures for them to kick him out kind of sums up what the SEC college think of their scholarship athletes, and probably would not shock me if they didn't refer him to some sort of treatment to deal with his situation.

I wouldn't be sure of someone taking a chance on him, we've seen guys like Marcus Vick and Vontaze Burfict fly well out of the draft despite their talent, although it goes without saying that Mathieu's situation isn't quite so drastic.

10. ball in the baskett

It could be that he just loves weed that much and doesent want to stop. I have friends that will never quit because they just love it so much. I obviously really enjoyed weed i was just tired of being burnt out all the time when your not high. If you let something like weed keep you from a good thing like then nfl then you are retarted.

11. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Exactamundo, I love weed, I probably won't stop I also have a prescription, I wonder what the NFL's policy would be on that?

12. Buck Fenson

I am not sure but even with a prescription some drugs are not allowed by the league so I think it would not be allowed also.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Doesnt matter. There's plenty of legal things on the banned substances list. Also, you don't have a prescription. You have a doctors recommendation, there's a difference.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Very few things please me more than when someone can't spell goobered properly, of all things. The irony is delicious.

15. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

PPP. If Chris Webber would have passed more than puffed puffed maybe Michigan would have one more NCAA Mens Basketball Championship Titles. But I digress. Don't bogart that joint my friends, that's my job! :icon_cheesygrin:

16. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Translation:

Got no money for some weed so can someone hook a brutha up???

:icon_smile:

17. ball in the baskett

na i really did quit lol

18. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Good for you, ball

Less demons in your life, the lighter the load...

19. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

No demons in de herb mon.

I havent been drinking for the last couple weeks, its awesome. Sleep better, wake up early and sharp...not at the last minute, groggy and dragging butt for the first few hours of the day...and there's noticeably more money in my wallet since I drink quality brews. I don't intend to do it forever, but every now and then it's nice to take a break. Not giving up my herb though, I smoke every day and that's not likely to ever change. I feel like it is just as important to my well-being as eating well, staying hydrated and getting enough sleep.

20. Buck Fenson

As long as you use it and don't abuse it it is all good.