NFL 'Not Ready' For An Openly Gay Player Says Hines Ward

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Retired Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward doesn't think the time is quite right in the NFL for an active player to follow the lead of the NBA's Jason Collins and come out publicly as gay.

Ward, now an NBC analyst, told NBC Sports Radio a player doing the same in football would face a more difficult situation.
    Retired Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward tells NBC Sports Radio that he doesn't think pro football is ready for an openly gay player.

"I don't think football is ready," Ward said, per Pro Football Talk. "There's too many guys in the locker room and, you know, guys play around too much."

As for Ward, he remains optimistic an NFL player will break through the barrier, and if he was still play, would welcome that in a teammate.

"Hopefully one guy comes out of the closet and (is) comfortable with himself," Ward said. "I don't have anything against a gay football player or a gay person period so if he does, he has support from me. I want people to live their lives for who they are and don't have to hide behind closed doors to do that."

Source: Sporting News

2. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I don't know why it needs to be announced publicly anyway....I could care less if you're gay or not, but it doesn't need to be national news if you are...:icon_evil: