Jay-Z Bashes Agents Who Criticize His Ability To Represent Athletes

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Darren Heitner of Forbes.com reports this week in an interview with The Breakfast Club on New York’s Power 105.1 radio station, Jay-Z said in reference to the agents who criticize him that, â€Those guys have been sitting around just doing the typical things…knock on the same doors. They go to Nike, they do the contract and then they sit back. They don’t do anything else. So they’ve been sitting around for 20-30 years just not doing anything.â€

Jay-Z continued, “So me coming, that’s a problem for them. Cause now they have to go to work, now they have to wake up, now they have to do things. So they don’t want me around because now they have to do something for these athletes. The bigger goal is for all artists to get their just due. Not to get half-ass agents or people who rob them or people who don’t care about their finances. They’re just taking whatever is going to get them a check.â€

Competitors in the sports agency business have chastised Jay-Z for his entrance into their world; his ability to quickly snag clients represented by others and to do so with apparently little care for previously established players associations’ regulations governing their respective agents has resulted in a handful of agents speaking out against Jay-Z’s practices.

On a track titled, La FAMILIA on Jay-Z’s new album Magna Carta Holy Grail, Jay-Z raps, “NFL investigations. Oh, don’t make me laugh.†That same album contains a track with the lyrics, “Scott Boras, you over baby. Robinson Cano, you coming with me,†which is a clear reference to the New York Yankees second baseman leaving the veteran baseball agent for the newcomer.

Source: The Redzone

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

So agents as a whole havent been getting athletes their due ??

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I guess Jay-Z will bring $200M contracts in the near future. :rolleyes:

4. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

He's just responding to some of the hate he's received. I'm fine with him taking shots at people that have a problem with him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Instead of this "you bashed me so I have to retaliate" mentality, when do these people actually just shut the heck up and do their business. Just because someone bashes you it doesn't mean that you have to stoop to their level and retaliate...GROW UP ALREADY..

6. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

When they have EGO's bigger then their heads can carry, this is what happens.

He's just the newest thing. He will fizzle to a dull roar after a while.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

other than being a multimillionaire and screwing beyonce every night,what are his qualifactions to become an agent?

9. Tarkus

Probably about the same as other agents. :icon_smile:

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

are'nt most of the other agents lawyers or graduates with business degrees? i know some former players are agents too,but wtf does jay z know about signing anything but checks and autographs?

11. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

IF Jay Z is getting his clients paid, he's doing his job.

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

The irony here is jay-z is angry that other people are doing exactly what made him a great deal of money ... dissing.

Just seems he being a bit of a hypocrite.

Now if wants to really be different lets see him take 1/2 the percetage that is the industry norm.

13. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

really not giving him credit for all of the business he does, representing a pro athlete is really not that hard of a job once you understand contract language

14. Tarkus

^^This^^

Like him or not, (not) you can't deny his success building his empire.

Besides, I'm sure he also has a banquet hall of lawyers to sweat the small stuff no matter what his education background.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

only thing good about jayz is his beautiful wife.

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Jay Z has people that bring business ventures to him. He doesn't create them. He simply says sure and then people dump truck loads of money at his house. ;)

But for real, most agents have an understanding of business and such. Jay Z has an army of accountants and other people that handle his money. I guarantee he doesn't understand all of the specifics of the business and is going to end up bankrupting some of his clients.

17. Tarkus

Not sure how that plays into the scheme of things but conversely, agents aren't creating anything. They're negotiating services to teams.

I'm gonna end up hating you for somewhat defended someone I don't really care for but... :icon_smile:

to say that Jay-Z hasn't proved he's an astute business man with his history of business ventures that include the same type of negotiating as athletes contracts would be short sighted IMO. This isn't some kind of 1 trick pony rapper who just has tons of money.

& once again, I do stand by the view that he doesn't need to be all-knowing on every single aspect of the intricacies of the complete process as having a solid legal team to address them all. Success is based not only what you know but who you surround yourself with. He's been way too savvy to put it all on what's in the bank.

If Jay-Z ends up having success at this, I'd say it would be a hybrid type of agent with Jay-Z being more the messenger/negotiator than an all-in-one agent we're used to seeing. I just don't believe he's just a guy who rubber stamps everything cuz he's got money.

I guess we just wait & see...