Giants WR Victor Cruz Thinks He Took Less Money Than He Deserves

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by DaBears22, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz was hoping for a bigger pay day with his long-term contract with the Giants but didn't quite get what he wanted.

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports Cruz was asked on SiriusXM NFL Radio how the six-year, $45.879 million contract he signed was less than what he originally wanted and less than the top receivers had been getting on the open market.

Cruz's said, "I'm not going to lie, it's tough. It's tough. When you understand from a numbers standpoint, and the numbers you put up you feel like deserve a certain amount of money ... and you want your team to owe that to you. But I think playing in NY, you can't take that away. You have to hold that up to an account at some point when you're going through these negotiations."

"You ask yourself 'Would you want to play for this amount in New York and play in the best city in the world and play football, and -- I'm a hometown kid -- be close to home and your mom and your family? Or do you want to take a big pay day and go somewhere like Kansas City or Minnesota where your family might not be able to come as often as you want and you're living in a city you're not too familiar with and it's an adjustment for you?' So you have to take all those things into account as well. But I'm not going to say it's easy when you see guys getting these huge paydays and you feel like you're at the same caliber, if not better than some of those guys."

Source: The Redzone

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

yawn....cruz got plenty of money

i hope he holds out next year

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Went from an UDFA to being paid pretty damn well.. get your money man

4. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Just take the money and be happy. Do these guys not realize how much money they are actually making?

5. Harryaxel

Harryaxel Rookie

I really don't think they do. 45 mil over six years and its not enough? My family could live off that for the next 1mil generations.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I still remember latrell sprewell, who was a player for the Minnesota timberwolves like 10 years ago and was in a contract dispute with them. He did a sideline interview where said, "I have to try and feed my family on 13 million dollars." Or whatever the dollar amount was.

I really don't think alot of these guys realize how much money they make compared to normal people.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Cruzs comments almost make it seem someone was offering him a $60 mill deal but he took less to stay in new York. I'm not sure I'm buying that

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

I've always been greatly amused when athletes agree on a contract only to hit the media trail to say how unfair it is. :icon_smile:

9. K Train

he was an RFA, i doubt anyone offered him anything since theyd have to give up a first round pick which would be insanity.

He got similar money to antonio brown, which is about right

10. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

I remember T.O. saying he couldn't feed his fam on 7 mill a year, so they gave him 8...

11. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I don't doubt that Cruz is a great receiver, but he is not a #1 receiver and he's talking about what all the #1's are making. He wouldn't have the success he is having if he didn't have Hakeem Nicks, a true #1 on his other side, he got paid well, I'm glad we got him, he needs to keep producing at a good rate if he wants to get the kind of money he wants.

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Imo hes a #1 receiver you cant ignore how much the giants count on that guy. Whatever though he got paid if hes not happy with it shouldent have signed.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

How many teams would he start as a true "#1" receiver?

14. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Theres alot of teams out there that would use him as a #1. If it werent for the 1st round pick on him alot of teams would be interested. My own team the eagles i would think of him as a #1 hes better then jackson and maclin. Even on your team the steelers they could use him antonio brown and emmanuel sanders yawn. Many other teams that need WR help out there that dont have a #1 which i believe cruz is. Its hard defending the guy i hate him because hes a giant but respect his game...........his dance needs to die though

15. K Train

Hes a slot WR whatever number you slap on him he plays the slot. He plays in a complex giants offense and shows tremendous chemistry with manning, but he is not a "#1 Wr".

His is to nicks what antonio brown was to wallace, they need (ed) each other to be successful imo despite the others limitations they were good compliments